The Letter

One year ago- Valentines Day

Dan ran around the house as quietly as he could as to not wake Phil. He was setting up the spare bedroom for Phil's Valentines Day gift.

Dan peeked into their bedroom and smiled at Phil, who was sleeping peacefully.

He hurried back to the spare room and arranged the pillows and blankets nicely on the bed. The projector was set up so that the light would land on the wall.

Dan picked up the tall candles and placed them in the shape of a small heart on the table. Next to it was the wine and two fancy glasses that he had dug out of the cabinets.

Dan shut the door and walked to the kitchen to make pancakes for breakfast. He picked up the phone in the process to call a friend. Finally, he hung up and set the food down on two plates.

Checking the clock, he saw that it was already 9. Time to do this. Dan snuck into their bedroom.

"Good morning, love," he said quietly, shaking him gently. "It's time to get up."

Phil groaned, rolling to face Dan.

"Hey sleepy-head," Dan whispered, kissing Phil on the nose. "Go get ready."

Phil didn't question him. He smiled sleepily at Dan and started walking to the bathroom. Dan waited for Phil and when Phil stepped out, Dan captured him in a loving kiss.

"Happy Valentines Day," Dan rested his forehead against Phil's.

"Happy Valentines Day," Phil grinned.

Dan took his hand and brought him into the kitchen. Phil smiled at the heart-shaped pancakes.

"Dan, you didn't have to do this," he said, sitting down and pouring syrup on one of the stacks.

"I wanted to," Dan replied, sitting next to Phil and copying his actions.

When they finished eating, Dan took the plates and put them in the sink. He rolled up his sleeves to wash them.

"Dan, let me do it," Phil protested.

Dan ignored him and turned on the water. "You're too much of a klutz."

Phil chuckled and wrapped his arms around Dan's waist, resting his head on his shoulder, watching Dan.

"Come on," Dan said when he was done. He dried his hands on the towel, "there's something else."

Dan took Phil's hand again before he could respond and they left their flat. Right before they went outside, Dan turned to Phil.

"Close your eyes."

"What? Why-"

"Please."

Phil shut his eyes with a bit of hesitation.

"Don't peek." Just to make sure, Dan held one of his hands over Phil's eyes.