Chapter 23

Kaito led his baby sister upstairs to his bedroom. Kazumi was a little confused as to what her brother wanted to show her, and the fact that it was in his bedroom was even more confusing to her.

Letting go of his sister's hand in the hallway, Kaito opened his bedroom door and then turned on the light. The magician walked into his bedroom, but Kazumi just stood in the hallway.

When the magician saw that his baby sister wasn't following him inside, he smiled to her and gestured her inside with a wave of his hand. "Come in."

Kazumi looked to him confused. "What did you want to show me?" She asked confused but also curious.

Kaito rolled his eyes as he stepped out of his bedroom and back into the hallway. He smiled to her. "I can't show you unless you come in." He answered her, grasping her hand again and pulled her inside.

Once she was inside, Kaito closed the door and then stood beside her. Kazumi took in the room around her. The bedroom definitely belonged to a teenager.

Although, due to Kaito's active behaviour and his pranks, Kazumi expected his bedroom to be messy with bits of paper or confetti all over the floor, and different parts of magical tricks all over the place. But it wasn't anything like that at all. It was neat and tidy. If it wasn't for a couple of books on magic, she would never had guessed that the bedroom belonged to someone who was into magic.

When she was done with taking in the appearance of her twin's bedroom, Kazumi looked to her brother questioningly. "What was it that you wanted to show me Kaito?" She asked, her tone sounding delicate.

Kaito didn't say anything as he just pointed to a large portrait behind her. With eyes of confusion, she turned around to what he was pointing at.

Turning around, Kazumi looked to see a portrait of a man wearing a dark velvet blue, almost black, tuxedo with white gloves whilst holding a matching top hat just above his head.

After a few moments of looking at the picture, Kazumi's indigo eyes widened. Suddenly, images of the research she had done on her father and Kaito Kid had flashed back into her mind. The man was also the same man in the left picture of her heart shaped locket. The man in the portrait could only be one person, and she knew who it was.

Tears began to prick at the corner of her eyes as she opened her mouth to speak, but all that she could manage was. "D-Dad?" Without looking to her brother, she asked him. "Is that... is that... dad?"

Kaito nodded and hummed in response. He wanted her to see their father, not just in the picture of him in her locket.

With shaky legs, Kazumi slowly stepped towards the painting. When in arms reach, she gently placed her hand atop of the portrait. Seeing her father surrounded by magic, was too intensifying for her. But at the same time, she felt relief wash over her. Kazumi curled her lips into a shaky smile.

A larger hand was placed on the portrait beside her own. Kazumi looked beside her to see Kaito grinning to her. "Watch out." He spoke softly, before giving the portrait a strong push with his palm.

Kazumi quickly retracted her hand as the portrait suddenly flipped sideways to reveal a secret staircase. Kazumi looked to the secret passage with eyes of disbelief.

Kaito couldn't help but chuckle to her expression. "Don't worry, it surprised me the first time aswell." Kaito placed a hand on his hip. "Except for the fact that I fell straight into the room, and landed painfully on the floor down there."

Kazumi looked to him, her indigo eyes bulged with surprise. "Wait. Are you saying there's a room down there?"

Kaito nodded. "Yep. It's where I found out that dad was Kaito Kid." When he saw that she was going to ask another question, Kaito held up a hand and slowly shook his head. "I'll explain when we get down there." With that, he stepped into the secret room and began walking down the stairs.

Kazumi slowly followed close behind him.

As the two Kuroba twins made it down into the secret room, two lines of lights turned on, lighting up the room around them. Kazumi's eyes widened when she saw everything that belonged to her father in the room.

Seeing the look of surprise on his sister's face made Kaito smile. Stepping further into the room, Kaito turned around to face her. His hands held out to the sides of him, gesturing towards the space around them. "So?" He broke the silence. Kazumi looked into his indigo eyes. "What do you think?"

Kazumi opened her mouth to reply, but then closed it as she was clueless of what to say. After a couple of attempts, she finally found her voice. "It's amazing. So, this is where you found out that dad as Kaito Kid?"

Kaito nodded. He began to explain the story of how he found out about their dad, and how it was Jii that had been playing as Kaito Kid in order to lead out his killers. And that was when he had found out that the accident that had lead to the great Toichi Kuroba's death, was a planned assassination.

When Kaito was finished explaining, rage, guilt, sadness and sorrow washed over Kazumi. Her and Kaito were sat across from each on the floor of their father's secret room. Kaito had one leg bent in front of him, whilst the other was stretched out. Kazumi sat opposite him, but with her legs crossed.

After a few moments silence, Kazumi looked to her twin. "Kaito?"

The magician looked to her. "Yeah."

"How..." she hesitated, not knowing how to put her curiosity in to words. With a deep breath, she tried again. "How did you cope... with being Kaito Kid?"

Kaito's eyes widened for a second but then softened. With a small smile, Kaito stood from his sitting position and walked to stand beside the white car, parked to the side of the secret room.

He placed a hand on the side of it, feeling the cold bonnet beneath his palm. "Dad helped me through it." Knowing that she would be confused as to what he meant, Kaito turned to face her over his shoulder. His smile curled wider as he saw the confusion in her matching indigo eyes. "Dad guided me through it. Giving me advise." He pointed to the voice machine at the end of the room.

As if on cue, the voice machine lit up with multicoloured neon lights, and a record was placed into play. Kazumi looked stunned to see it suddenly come alive without being touched.

"Uh, Kaito. What did-" she was cut short by the sound of a charming male voice.

"Kaito. Always remember that whatever your challenge is, and however difficult, you will always be able to work through it with patience." Spoke the voice of the one and only Kuroba Toichi.

A slight gasp escaped Kazumi's lips as she stood from the ground to walk over to the machine. She stopped when she was a a little distance in front of it. Glistening tears slid down her cheeks and dripped off her jawline.

"Daddy..." she breathed, shocked to hearing her father's voice after fourteen years. She reached out to touch the machine, but withdrew her hand and let it drop limply by her side.

Guilt filled within her again. She lowered her head so her glassy indigo eyes were shadowed by her bangs. "I'm so sorry." She whispered to the machine, as if apologising to her father.

Strong arms wrapped around her from beside her and brought her close to something warm. A hand gently stroked her head, comforting her as she cried silently. "Don't worry," Kaito whispered to her. "We'll get them eventually." He pulled away from her in order to bend down a little to look into her eyes. "Kaz, don't blame yourself. It isn't your fault."

Kazumi looked to him and then broke down crying, throwing her face into her hands. Kaito just hugged her again, stroking reassuring circles on her back. "It's alright, it's alright. Let it all out lil' sis." He placed a gentle kiss on the crown of her head.

》》》》》》》

Author's Note : Konnichiwa there!!! How are you all? I hope you're all well. Don't forget to tell me what you think of this chapter. Please, I really want to know what you guys think.

* MANY KISSES * AMCDeBurgh;-) ♡ ¤ ♡ ¤ ♡