Chapter 2

Fourteen years after her kidnapping, Kazumi grew to know the people around her as family. She was unaware that they were really her kidnappers, because they fed and fed and fed her lies.

They told her that she was left in a basket alone in the darkness, and so they brought her in and raised her as their own. They actually grew to treat her as their own.

Kenash. The man who, with two others, kidnapped her from the playground near her daycare. He was the leader of the organisation known as the 'Magpies'. He was one out of five combat and weapon trainers, who was the main person who would train his new recruit to become a strong and independent fighter.

Kazumi was only six years old when Kenash made her practise dagger throwing. She was frightened at first, but after a few months of being false fed even more lies, she obeyed and threw her first dagger.

Her training started off with dagger throwing. Then with loading bullets into a gun blind folded at the age of seven. At the ages of eight and nine, Kazumi was forced to practise her shooting.

Even though she complained that the other younger fighters didn't have to practise at such an early age, Kazumi was ignored and forced to continue her training. Kazumi knew better than to anger Kenash and so she just stuck to obeying orders.

Her most risky training lessons, were to dodge knives and daggers being thrown at her. She was ten years old when she was introduced to that. Of course, any ten year old child would be frightened of knives being thrown at them, and Kazumi was definitely scared of that training exercise.

And what scared her even more was the fact of it not being Kenash that was leading that training session. It was a trainer who gave Kazumi the ultimate shivers and that was Nicotine. Nicotine was almost as strict as Kenash, except he was creepier.

When Nicotine first introduced dagger dodging to Kazumi, he told her to stand in the middle of the training room. He asked her to hold her arms up to the sides of her and close her eyes. When she did, he walked over to her and placed the flat side of a dagger on her shoulder.

Feeling the cold metal on her skin made her freeze, but she did as she was told and remained stood there with her eyes closed. She shivered when Nicotine ran the blade down her arm and to her fingertips. Seeing her fingers trembling with fear, he roughly slapped her knuckles with the flat edge of the dagger, which caused her to wince in pain.

He reminded her that showing fear to your opponent would only make you weaker, and also make it easier for them to defeat you. After a few beatings and tellings, that reminder finally sunk into her mind.

The flinching test was hard for Kazumi aswell. She would have to stand absolutely still whilst daggers were being thrown at her, to hit the wall that she stood against. She would get hit for every flinch that she made. After a year, Kazumi didn't even threaten to close her eyes. Even when the sharp blades grazed her sides and arms, she never even batted an eyelid.

She was praised with a load of money when she reached the age of twelve. Her and the other young fighters would be praised with money for every successful training lesson and mini missions that they did.

There were six other fighters, many of different ages. Kieno, a nineteen year old boy that ran away from home at the age of six, was brought in and trained to also become a fighter like Kazumi. He was quite heartless when it came to killing people, as if murdering someone was an everyday thing for him. But other than that, Kieno was quiet and kept himself to himself.

Sienna was four when the Magpies kidnapped her from her big brother's birthday party, and become close friends with Kazumi when they shared combat. At the age of thirteen, Sienna gathered half of her budget and got loads of tattoos, cut her ginger hair short and bought herself her very own samurai sword. Kazumi didn't really care about the change, as she just accepted it and acted as if nothing happened between them. Even though there was three years between them, they acted as mature as the oldest.