Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

            Carolina shrugs, "Same difference."

           "Not really."

            "It's the same concept." Carolina argues, turning towards me. "Trust me. It'll work whether it's a best friend, an ex-boyfriend, or even a pet cat that acts like a bitch. All you have to do is get their attention, flirt, and wait for all hell to break loose."

            "Wow," I sarcastically reply, "thanks so much for that wonderful advice. You should totally be a counselor in the future."

            "Awe, thanks doll." Carolina ignores my sarcasm and blows me a kiss. "But I'm actually thinking more along the lines of a model. It'll be more realistic for me."

            I laugh and follow her as we make our way out of the parking lot and towards the school. "Yeah, that's so much more realistic than a counselor."

            I wish I could say that I though long and hard about Carolina's plan, but if I did, I'd be lying

            I wish I could say that I though long and hard about Carolina's plan, but if I did, I'd be lying. One look at Griffyn and Melody during lunch and I was in.

            "So, if I were to take your advice on the plan..." I trail off, stabbing at a few grapes on my plate with a fork. Sometimes I'd catch them, sometimes not. The fun was in the mystery. "Where would I find said guy?"

            Carolina rolls her eyes as if it's obvious. "Well, hmm. Let me think. Who has a brother who's in college and seemed interested in Carson the last time I checked?"

            I glare at her.

            She sees my look and shoots me a smirk, "My brother, Darren, of course. Not only did he seem to enjoy your company, like he so rarely does with anyone, but he also loves to play games." I guess that makes two of you... Must run in the family.

            Penelope looks up when she hears Darren's name. She bites her lip, looking like she wants to object, but stays silent.

            "I don't think that's a good idea..." I trail, not feeling too good about the plan.

            Carolina laughs, "Of course it's not a good idea! That's what makes it a great idea!"

            I stare at her, my head fighting between whether to feel confused or worried for her mental health. "That makes absolutely no sense."

            Carolina shrugs and eats a piece of pineapple. "Just trust me. It'll work. How about you come over right after school and I'll talk Darren into it."

            I hesitate. She must sense the hesitation because she reaches across the table and grabs my wrist. "Do you want your best friend back?" I nod. "Okay, then trust me. It'll be fine. Just meet me at my locker after school."

"