I get to help

Roberts pov

It has been two weeks since I found out about the "showers" and it is taking over my mind. Every time I look at the prisoners I see the people that I led into that awful chamber. Their screams, their cries, the pounding on the chamber and me trying to get to them but being held back by these terrible excuses for human beings.

Right now I am walking around the bunks giving the people bowls, I am told that if they give away or loose these bowls that they don't eat, I mean it's not like they eat much anyway. They get some water but only a little bit and as for food they are lucky if they get any 3 times a week. When we do feed them they have to try and save it because they know that they won't get any more for days.

"Pig" the woman says as I pass her a bowl.
I look up at her and she is looking directly back at me right in my eyes, she says, " you all treat us like animals we ARE NOT animals, we are not pigs or dogs and we should not be treated as such, you are the animal you know that?"

I was so in shock that she Said all of that knowing that I have the ability to take her out right now. I won't hurt her, everything she said was true and I know it.

"I know" is all I can say to this brave woman.

After I finish passing out the bowls I go and get the watered down broth and pour the same amount into each bowl and I make sure to get at least one vegetable in each bowl.

Right now I am walking back to my cabin, it is about 2am. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits to pillow.

I am awoken by whispering and people saying "shh". I sit up and see my two cabin roommates with four small children.

"What are you doing? Who are these kids?" I ask

They look at each other and bid their heads. The one with the blonde hair walks over to me and says, "what I am about to say to you, you have to promise not to tell anyone or I will have to off you", I nod and say, "I promise now please go on"'.

" Ok well we have a place outside of the camp where we try to take the children and pregnant woman and we try to get elderly people as well but it is harder because they need more help", He says

"What do you do with them", I ask

"Come with us and we will show you", the other one with Brown hair says as he hands me a little girl that looks to be about five, she reminds me of my little sister Anne.

We walk out of the camp and into the forest, we walk in the forest for about 15 minutes then stop in front of a cave in a mountain, one of then hands me a lantern and we walk into the cave. After a few minutes of walking we arrive in a big room in the cave where I see other soldiers and other prisoners, I see prisoners that I thought went to the showers, they were all sleeping except for the soldiers.

" why do you bring them here?" I ask. "Because we want to get them to safety, we try to send them to places like the US or places in south America". The one with blonde hair says.

"I want in on it, I want to help these people as well." I say

The one with the Brown hair gives me a contract to sign that states that I will protect these people and this organization even if it means loosing my life and that I understand that if I tell anyone I will be killed.

I am actually happy for the first time since the war started.

I get to help.