14.-Before It Explodes-

A couple of days have passed since their encounter at the hotel. Since then, Maine and Alden were able to retrieve their belongings at the hotel.  Right now, the two were able to make their way out of town and find a house to live in. It is still in the middle of the woods ... but this time, it's a cement house and not a cabin. Things were going fine, well ... almost. 

Maine is worried about his Dad. He usually calls every two days , but it's already been more than that.

 "Love, breakfast is ready!"  Alden yelled straight from the kitchen. Maine heard what he called her, she just didn't react because a part of her actually liked it. "I guess being with someone like him for quite some time now can really develop something" she thought to herself before walking towards where he is. As soon as she saw the foods that he prepared, her mouth fell open. 

 "You cooked all of this?" she asked before sitting on the chair right opposite to his. 

 "No, Obama did" he answered in a sarcastic tone. Maine just rolled her eyes and sat on the chair. It took her a while to realize that Alden is wearing a white shirt and a baseball cap worn backwards, it definitely made him look more like a model rather than a bodyguard. 

 "What do you wanna do for today?" Alden asked her. 

 "Teach me how to fight"

 "Physical or with a gun?"

 "Both"

 "Okay ... uh Maine, you're gonna have to change your hair color"

 "Why?"

 "People might recognize you ... and tomorrow we're going to my friends at the military base"

 "What are we gonna do with the military? The police can't even find who the killer is"

 "Then the military can. Trust me"

 "Fine"

 Maine then took a bite of the sandwich he made while thinking of the bets thing she needs to do next.  Her mother's death should have a justice. And if the police can give that, she will do her best to give it herself. 

 A couple minutes after eating, the two decided to take a morning walk outside. 

---

 If there's one good thing that came out of all that is happening right now, it is the fact that he and Maine became much closer than before. That is also the main reason why he has to do his  best to keep her alive. Alden did not tell her that starting tomorrow, she'll be living in a military base for more protection. While he, he would hunt down whoever it is that is trying to kill her. 

 "Alden?"

 "What?" he asked before turning to his side to face her. 

 "Are you afraid of oblivion?"

  "No"

 "Why is that?"

 "Because we would all be forgotten at some point. After death , all we need to do is count years and people won't even remember who we are. Everything we did , they'll be nothing but a story or a distant memory. So no, I'm not afraid"

 "Alden?"

 "What?"

 "I'll always remember you. No matter what"

 That statement brought a smile to his face. Before Maine, he was more than ready to disappear but now that she's here ... it gives him the strength he needs to stay. She gave him the reason to fight.

 "Thank you ... what about you? are you afraid of being forgotten?"

 "Yes"

 "Why?"

 "I don't know ... I just don't wanna disappear without being able to do anything. I want my life to have a meaning."

 "It does have a meaning"

 "What is it?"

 "You have to stay alive in order to find out" he answered. The two made their way to the nearby waterfall. 

 "This is beautiful she uttered. Alden smiled and then faced her "You are more beautiful". Her face then turned red and so she looked away. He fell for her the same way he falls asleep ; slowly and then all at once. 

---

Several hours later, Maine is in her bed trying her best to catch some sleep when suddenly ... her phone started ringing. "Hello Dad?" she asked right away

. "Maine" her heart immediately dropped after hearing the voice on the other end of the line. It's not his Dad, it's the killer. The young girl quickly got out of bed, thinking that her worst wear had just came true. 

 "Where's my Dad?" she asked. 

 "He's still alive , don't worry ... just unconscious"

 "What did you do to him?"

 "Nothing. However, his life will depend on you"

 With her heart to race out of her chest, Maine begged the killer not to harm his father. "I won't , that is if you come to the address I'll give you" . 

 "Hell no"

 "Then I'll kill him"

 "Please I beg you don't. We'll give you all the money you need ... just don not kill my Dad please"

  "Then go to the address I will tell you"

 "Fine, where is it?"

 "#654 Peak Drive, Edmonton"

 "That's far from here"

 "Then find a way to get there as soon as possible. You have 4 hours , if you don't get here by that time I will send you a picture of your father's head , with seven holes in it. And don't you dare call the police or anyone for help ... I'll kill him too if you come here with someone else. Understand?"

 "Yes, I'll be there"

 "Good. I can't wait to see you M"

 Maine's heart dropped after hearing what the killer called her. Only one person in the world calls her by the firs letter of her first name. "Oh my God, Uncle Nick?!!" she asked and heard a slight laugh on the other end of the line. As soon as the call ended, Maine started crying. It took her a couple of minutes to regain herself and when she was finally able to, she got out of the room and retrieved the key from the drawer where Alden kept it. 

 Maine then wrote the given address and placed right on top of the table. She needs to leave now and just hope that Alden, along with his reinforcement, will be there to save them. The young girl then quietly approached Alden, who is sleeping on the couch, and planted a kiss on his cheek. 

 "I'm sorry" she whispered. Maine then took one of his guns and made her way out of the house. 

---

that's it for this part guys ^^ what do you think? last 2 CHAPTERS !!

also . the 2nd chapter of my new story is up ... read it here : ) https://www.wattpad.com/225815032-how-to-move-on-in-10-days-maiden-ii-not-nice-to