10.-Against All Odds-

Later that day, Alden saw Maine return to the hospital safely. "How are you?" she asked him. "Better" he answered before asking Maine in return about her home trip. 

 "Fine, I was able to get the two things you sunk in the lake: car and food supplies" she replied with a smile on her face. Alden wanted to talk about the unexpected kiss that they shared but he knows it will be uncomfortable for her. 

"How's the cabin?"

 "It's fine ... last time I checked"

 "How are you?"

 Maine then looked at him with confusion. Alden just sighed and turned his view towards the ceiling. He feels bad right now, especially because of the fact that when something happens ... he won't be able to protect her. 

 "In case you really wanna know. I'm fine .. took a bath actually"

 Alden smiled and looked at Maine once again. As hard as he try to avoid talking about the kiss, there's this certain awkwardness that suddenly emerged between the two of them. And it felt like all he needed to do is to address the topic so it can finally go away.

 "Why did you kissed me?"

 "What?"

 "Come on Maine ... say it"

 "Alden, I did not mean to kiss you"

 "Then what"

 "I got carried away" she answered before stuffing his mouth with a whole apple. "You really hate me do you?" he asked her. 

 "What? No, I don't"

 "Yes you do"

 "Fine .... I don't" she replied before they both laughed. Alden just laid there as Maine prepared their early dinner meal. 

"Have you talked to your father?"

 "Nope. I wish he would call me"

 "He's fine"

 "What?" she asked before looking at him. 

 "I bet he's fine"

 "I hope so"

--

Maine spent the rest of the day taking care of Alden. That's what he did to her for the past few weeks that they're together. This is her time to at least pay him back. 

 "Is everything alright? Do you want anything?" she asked. 

 "A kiss"

 Maine blushed and pinched his nose up until his face displays pain. "Ow! You're gonna break my nose!" he told her while covering it with his hand. 

 "Do you still want a kiss?' Maine asked with a smirk on her face. 

 "No"

 "Good" she answered before placing the tray right on top of the drawer beside him. Suddenly, her phone started ringing. It's an unregistered number but she answered it anyway. 

"Who's this?"

 "Maine ... don't you recognize me?" an eerie voice from the other end of the line replied. She looked at Alden and saw confusion in his face. 

"Who are you?"

 "That's not the important question, you should be asking where am I and how did I get your number? You now what? ... you and that stupid guard of yours looks great together ... wonder if they do couple graveyard pits now ... or do I have to dig one up .... a hole that will fill two people"

 Maine's heart is ready to race out of her chest. "What's going on?" Alden asked her but she could nto speak. 

 "Where are you? show yourself" that's all she can tell the caller. 

 "Look out of the window"

 Maine did so and saw someone in a black hoodie right across the road. 

 "That's right ... I know exactly where you are Maine"

 "What do you even want with me? You already killed my Mom!" 

 "Yes I did. And I loved every single moment of doing it" he replied, causing her to tear up. "You have no heart". 

 "Tell me Maine ... how long can he protect you? I bet he actually can't because of his wounds .... or are you willing to protect him instead"

"Go to hell"

 "You're already in hell Maine" the guy replied before ending the call. Maine watched as he got on to a red car and drove away. 

---

"Who's that?" Alden asked after seeing her appalled reaction. 

 "It's my Mom's killer"

 "What did he tell you?"

 "He knows where we are ... Alden I'm scared"

 "Don't be. I'm going to protect you"

 "You can't protect me while you're that"

 "What do you want to do?"

 "I wanna fight back"

  "Maine?"

 "What?"

 "You'll get out of this alive. I promise you" he uttered before hugging her. As Alden closed his eyes, he felt Maine hugging back. 

--

that's it for this part guys ^^ last 6 chapters ... you want moore?