4.-I'm With You"

Maine's heart is ready to pump out of her chest. If the killers  had followed them then there's much lesser chances of her surviving. She watched as Alden slowly made his way towards the window. "Who's out there?" Maine asked. 

"I don't know ... and be quiet"

 The young girl then decided to just stay down while Alden slowly opened the front door. She was waiting for a gunshot to happen but there's none. 

 "There's no one here" he uttered before going back inside the cabin. Alden then proceeded to close the door and locked it, he also closed every window and pulled down all the curtains. 

 "That could be just an animal" Maine uttered after seeing how worried he is. 

 "Maybe ... but it's better be safe than sorry right?"

 "Yeah" she replied before going back inside her room. There, Maine quickly got online and tried her best to establish a connection with her father. But no one is responding. Worries, she walked out of the room once again and approached Alden. 

 "What do you want?"

 "I need to talk to my father"

 "We can't call them .. they can only call us"

 "What if something happened to them?" 

 "Then I'm very sorry for your loss"

 Maine rolled her eyes and tried to get his phone but Alden successfully stopped her. "What are you doing?" 

 "I need to talk to him please"

 "They can trace your call. Maine I understand what you're going through but please know that you'll be putting yourself in danger"

 Maine did not reply, out of annoyance she just decided to go back in her room and lock herself in. 

---

"Alden ... more patience ... okay?" he told himself as soon as she got back to her room. His main job is to guard her ... not condone her spoiled-ness. But at the same time he's trying his best to really understand what's her situation is. He mother just died after all, and her father's safety is still unsure as well. 

As for Maine herself, well ... she's on the run for her life.

 "Alden ... patience ... patience ... patience "  he told himself before he stood up from the chair and slowly fixed the curtains once again. The emotions she showed triggered something in him. Something that he thought he has already forgotten. 

 "I miss you Mum .. I miss you so much" he whispered as a single tear came out of his eyes. Alden then proceeded to open the door before walking outside.

  If he wants to finish this job then he has to be more patient and understand. But most of all, he has to be strong. 

---

Later that night, Maine decided to sit on one of the chairs outside and looked up at the stars. Twenty four hours ago her life is still awesome .... she has everything that most girls in the world would kill for ... but now , that all changed. Her mother is dead, fer father is still somewhere out there hiding just like her. Whoever is behind this will only stop when they both exhaled their very last breath. 

But what puzzled Maine the most is the fact that her own  mother's death hasn't sunk in on her yet.  Maine still thinks that she's just away for a vacation ... that she will come back to them safe and sound. 

 "I miss you Mom" she whispered before looking down. There she realized that she's wearing the necklace her mother gave her on her birthday two years ago. It Is very special for the both of them as they have their picture  inside the heart shaped pendant. 

 Maine opened it and saw her mother's smiling face. That's when it finally kicked in to her, she will see her Mom again. Tears started falling from her eyes as she kissed their picture.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps behind her. Maine quickly wiped her tears just as Alden's shoes came into her view. 

 "Do you want hot chocolate?" he asked. Maine nodded and then got one of the mugs he offered. Alden then sat at the chair next to her's. 

 "Did you cry?"

 "No .. I just sweated through my eyes" she replied, trying to make a joke but it instead turned into a sob. 

"Everything's gonna be fine" she heard him say. 

 "What if it doesn't? What if this shit just gets worse?" Maine asked as tears started to once again make their way to her emotional big eyes. 

 "It has to alright .. It has to be alright .. I won't let anything happen to you .. I promise"

"You can't protect me forever"

 "I will try"

 "I wanna learn"

 "What?" he asked. Determined to not let the darkness take her away when it comes, she asked Alden a favor she might regret someday. 

 "I wanna learn how to fight"