Thirty-Nine

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ~Frederick Douglass

Luke's POV

A few hours later I was laying on Rosa's couch, the entire house was silent and I was trying to sleep but for some reason could not bring myself to do it. After all that had happened, my mind was still trying to calm down.

I was supposed to help him but all I did was make everything worse. I thought that the entire point of relationships was to make people happy but why were people so quick to thrash out at Michael when he was dating me? After all, who wanted a mess like me?

I wonder if Michael ever thought about this kind of thing.

I wondered if I would be able to get him off my mind ever, although I doubted it.

I sat up and rubbed my face. My car was sitting out in the driveway, I could drive it off a cliff, into the water. I could just keep driving and only ever stop for gas until I ran out of money. I could just drive, or I could just sit in it. Would anyone go looking for me if I was suddenly gone? Would I tell them where I went or would I drive without a care in the world?

I got up off the couch and grabbed my keys, walking outside the door I walked over to the driveway and started the car. Backing up out of the driveway, I pulled out into the night. Not really sure where I was going, all I knew is that I was going..Well nowhere. I was going nowhere. How was I supposed to get by in a world that ultimately did not want me? How would I get by without Michael, who had done everything for me that I could ever need.

I drove up to where his house was and left my car on the side of the road. I stood up and walked up the steps and into the house. Looking around I could see not a single person, but when I walked farther inside I could see Michael on the couch and wondered what he was doing downstairs.

I walked into the kitchen, knowing that I was not welcomed here at the time being. After all it was not my house. While in the kitchen, I looked out the window to see that Samantha's car wasn't in the driveway. Something must have happened at work. I glanced over to see her phone sitting on the table, I would recognize that phone case anywhere.

I picked it up and it started ringing in my hands. I let out a short lived scream of shock and almost dropped it, but I decided against it. On the screen appeared a number that was not in her contacts. I slid my finger across it and answered it anyways.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Hi! My name is Denis, and I was just calling on behalf of Trinity Psychiatric Care Facility," He said and I felt my eyes grow wide but was ultimately not shocked. "We received a call today from White Willow General Hospital that we had some consideration in terms of a new patient, a.. Michael Clifford?"

"Yes." I nodded my head as I leaned forward on the counter, feeling my hands shaking slightly.

"Well, we just wanted him and his guardian to be able to get to see the place before deciding on a final location, after all we have many other facilities nearby that he might be more interested in. Is this his guardian?" Denis asked.

"Yep." I nodded my head.

"Excellent, will you be accompanying him on his trip here?" Denis asked.

I closed my eyes. "His aunt will, Samantha Clifford."

"Alright, would you like to set a date?" Denis asked. "We can meet you anytime this week."

"Will you call back tomorrow morning so we can discuss a time? I don't know when I would want it." I said.

"Of course, is there a name we should be looking for?" Denis asked.

"Just ask for Samantha." I said. "Have a good day sir." I hung the phone up and set it down. Part of me should have said that we were never interested in the first place. I laid my head on the counter and eventually heard the front door open. I knew that Samantha would walk in here, and maybe be shocked to see me, and she was, I could hear her gasp.

"Luke? What are you doing here?" I heard her ask.

"You got a call from Trinity Psychiatric Care Facility." I said as I slid the phone over to her.

"What did you tell them?" Samantha asked.

"I told them to call back tomorrow morning to set up a time in which they can meet with Michael." I explained as I stood up from my spot. "Don't worry, I didn't sabotage the entire thing."

"So, you're accepting of the entire situation?" Samantha asked.

"No, not at all." I said. "The least I could do is not be a problem for everyone though."

"Do you want to talk about it, Luke?" Samantha asked. I shook my head. "Why are you here in the first place?"

"I was at Rosa's," I shrugged.

"This late at night?" Samantha asked. "On a school night?"

"My mother kicked me out of my own house," I said. "I don't know, I ended up with Rosa I guess."

"Do you want to stay here? Would that make you more comfortable?" Samantha asked. "After all, Michael's here."

"Yeah well he's going to be gone soon so I don't see why it matters anyways." I shrugged. "I'm still trying to figure out what to do with myself."

Samantha bit down on her lip as she spoke. "I think, for so long as you're here that Michael won't go anywhere."

"What? Why not?" I asked.

"He's scared to leave you alone, that's what he told me." Samantha said. "He said he won't go anywhere if that means leaving you alone. He's afraid of what might become of you if you end up alone."

"He should learn to worry about himself, he attempted suicide, not me." I huffed.

"Easy Lucas." I heard Michael scoff from the doorway, he gave a look to Samantha and she left the room. "Just because it was me and not you doesn't mean it can't be you. You've been through a lot since I met you, and I just want to make sure you can get through more than just that."

"Mi - "

"I care enough about you to make sure you're okay." Michael said. "I know, that deep down, I need you way more than you could possibly need me. For once in my life someone cares enough about me to never want me to leave but to want to make sure that they do what's right for me." I stood wide eyed, I took a couple of steps closer to Michael and set my hands around his waist as my head laid on his shoulder.

I could feel Michael's arms wrap around my neck as he laid his head on my own, and then I could hear him sniffling. Turning my head to the side I could see the tears in his eyes. "I-I refuse to go somewhere if it means that you won't be there."

"Michael what about - "

"I won't go anywhere." Michael shook his head. "I promised."

"Okay." I nodded my head. "Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

That was cute<3 dawh.

One more chapter guys.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX