Six

Poetry is, first and last, language - the rest is filler. ~Mark Strand

Luke's POV

When I woke up, I felt groggy and slightly confused until I remembered I was laying on Michael's couch. All I knew though was that I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. When I smelt the familiar scent of fast food, I looked down to see my uniform in-tact. Although I was slightly grossed out by the fact that I was still wearing it.

It must have been only about five-thirty, after all, the sun had not yet cleared over the horizon. I stretched out and thought to go get my shoes, get in my car, and head home but I stopped when I noticed Michael wandering around. A mug in his hand and when he saw me he flashed a smile before taking a sip.

"You look really confused." He said after a moment. He looked me up and down for a moment and then spoke again. "You can leave, if you want. After all, you still have to show up to school in a couple of hours. I would advise you go and get your uniform."

I rubbed my head and nodded blankly before standing up. Michael smiled as he walked with me towards the door, when we arrived he even opened it. "Thanks Michael.." I said quietly, I was absolutely confused to his behavior. Sometimes he seemed so shy of me, was it the fact that I looked exhausted that was itching at him.

Nevertheless, I drove to my house and took a shower. Too lazy to fix my hair, I left it laying wet on my forehead. I slipped into my uniform and walked into the kitchen where I noticed it to be empty. My mother was constantly working longer than she was supposed to. Either she came home late, or went in early. My father never got up before noon - just because he never had to. He worked second or sometimes third shift.

As a result of this, my parents and I never really interacted. Although, I was plenty alright with it. I had no problem not having them around. It almost made me feel more like an adult. Of course, I did a lot to maintain the house, so you might as well say I own it.

Maybe if I spent less time at work, I would be more lonely but in reality, I'm fine. After all, we were too much of strangers to interact properly.

I let out a sigh as I drove to school. I felt tired and when I was tired that instantly meant I was irritable.

I sat in my car and remembered falling asleep with my head against the steering wheel.

When I woke up, I noticed I only had two minutes before classes started. So I booked it to make it to class on time and I stepped inside the room just as soon as the bells had gone off. I let out a sigh of relief and walked towards my desk.

"Hey Luke." Bonnie smiled at me as I waved slightly. "You wouldn't believe it, but Casey isn't here!" I rolled my eyes and said nothing. I loved World Studies but right now I would rather be studying the geography of my bed.

We got into our groups and began to work. Michael took a seat and looked to me wearily. Bonnie was giving me an odd look too. But I completely ignored it.

Bonnie talked, quite a bit. I did little to listen to what she was saying. In fact I was thinking about how I could go for a nap, rather. Or that it would be really nice if it was Friday.

"Luke!" Bonnie snapped at me and I went wide eyed. "What's the matter with you? You look exhausted."

"I am exhausted." I sighed as I leaned onto my hand.

"Well go to bed earlier." Bonnie rolled her eyes and I was ready for this class to be over as Bonnie continued talking. When she was done she turned to me with a glare. "Did you get that?"

"Sure." I replied. "I got it."

Bonnie scoffed but the bells went off before she could say anything and I headed out of the classroom as fast as I could. I was beyond tired this point as it felt like I would fall into a coma at any minute.

The day finally ended with me falling asleep in my seventh period class. When it ended I had no idea, I just felt Calum shaking my arm.

"Get up," Calum said. I was thankful the teacher did not really care but now I was even more exhausted and I had to work still.

I stood up and walked out of the classroom. When Ava saw me she shook her head slowly. "Can you even drive yourself to work?"

"I have to." I replied. "My car is at the school."

"But.." Ava bit down on her lip. "Why can't we just come and get it after work?"

"Because I don't want to leave my car here." I answered.

"Does Michael have his license?" Ava asked and I shrugged. She turned and looked to Ashton who shrugged as well. In a moment she took off down the hallway and a moment after that she came back with Michael. "He can drive."

"Drive my car?" I asked. "Ava if something - "

"Nothing bad will happen." Ava rolled her eyes. "Let Michael drive, you'll fall asleep behind the wheel if you do!"

I turned my eyes to Michael and looked him up and down. Why did he look so rested when I was exhausted?

"Alright, let's go." I said quietly as I walked out to the car with Michael. I tossed him the keys which he barely caught. I climbed into the passenger side and let out a sigh as I leaned back.

"You really don't want me driving your car, huh?" Michael asked.

"No, I don't." I replied. "I don't understand why you're not as tired as I am."

"I don't have a hard time running on a few hours of sleep. You're adapted to having a lot of it, I'm not." Michael shrugged as he pulled out of the parking spot. "Work might be a little rough."

I let out a sigh. I knew it would be but I did not want to admit it just yet.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Sorry I've been neglecting my duties. Whoops. Also, this sucks so just apologizing. 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades