Twenty-Seven

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius 

Luke's POV

"I swear all you two do is argue and fight." Rosa commented as she leaned on the counter. It was pretty slow at the moment. I was working and so was Michael but he was talking to Samantha in the back. "I'm not sure that's entirely healthy, if I'm honest with you." Rosa shook her head slowly. "I swear what do you two see in one another?" 

"I don't know what he sees in me." I shook my head, that was true. After all, when was I known to do well for Michael? 

"Well what do you see in him?" Rosa asked. 

I could see him from where we were standing and I shook my head slowly, maybe I was not entirely sure either. "There must be something about him that just drives you wild, or you would never want to be with him." 

"Maybe it's based off of pity." I shook my head, knowing that was bad. "Or..Maybe he is one of the few people who was the first to believe that I was not on top of the world, the first to stand against me rather than kiss the ground I walked on." 

"He's different, and you like that." Rosa smiled, as she walked around. "We should have guessed though, every person you know you feel is the same!" 

"No, I'm just sick of girls that fall for me and I'm sick of the guys that will follow every command I give." I let out a huff. "But you're right, Michael and I don't get along at all. All we do is argue, and we never resolve any of it, in the end we just ignore it."

"Well that's your problem." Rosa said. "You have too much of a temper not to get your way. Besides, do you even know anything about Michael? Like the little things, the things you adore about him the most." I thought about it and could not think of anything. "Do you think he might be able to say something about you?" 

"I doubt it." I shrugged. 

"Maybe you just need to get to know each other better and you might get along better." Rosa shrugged. "Why, when me and Andy first went out, we were always at one another's throats. But look at us now!" 

"Yes, you have quite the life going for you. You work in food industry and he works at a car dealership." I scoffed. 

"But we have one another." Rosa sighed, as if what I said was harmful to her. "As in the song 'Living on a Prayer?' That is what we have, and we'll make it because we have one another. Will you and Michael make it alone?" 

"I don't think so." I shook my head. 

"That's why you need to come together, not as two people but as one heart and soul." Rosa smiled fondly of the idea; she stood and clasped her hands together. 

"Andy has turned you into a real hippie." I shook my head slowly. 

Rosa laughed and rolled her eyes. "That's why in high school you have such a hard time with relationships, you can never decide if you want to be with someone or if you want to have a career. Usually you have to give one to have the other. What would you rather have, Luke? Michael or your future?" 

"Well..My future." I said without hesitation. Of course I would prefer that over Michael. "Michael and I aren't stable to begin with."

"Do you think Michael would say the same thing?" Rosa asked. 

"Well..I-I don't know what he would say Rosa." I shook my head slowly. "I'm no mind reader." 

Rosa shook her head slowly but the conversation dropped as Michael walked back out. He did not even look my way and I felt my heart sink. "Why don't you head in the back and wash dishes, Luke? I'll call you if I need anything, okay?" I nodded my head and walked into the back room where the sinks were. I sighed, as the hot water ran against my hands. Cleaning the food off of the dishes. I looked at one of the silver spatulas and could see my reflection in it. I felt myself being broken down, as I was disintegrating into nothing.