Twelve

Never be afraid to sit a while and think. ~Lorraine Hansberry 

Luke's POV

I leaned forward on my desk during class, running a hand over my hair. I felt done with the school day, but I was even more done with work after school. Thank goodness it was almost over and I would not have to be training Michael anymore. Why would Samantha put me up to this? I was probably the worse candidate.

The bells went off and I walked to my locker and grabbed my things. Ava and Michael appeared and I instantly shot Michael a heavy glare. He seemed amused by it.

"Ready to go to work, compadre?" Ava smiled. I let out a sigh and nodded my head before slamming my locker shut.

"Whoa, what's got your panties in a twist, hm?" Ava snickered and my eyes grew wide as I turned to her.

"No. Just stop." I shook my head and continued walking. But I could still hear her snorts of laughter behind me.

"Hey come on," Ava punched my arm. "It was just a joke." I said nothing. "Luke?"

"Yes Ava?" I said, my words coming out like ice.

"What's the matter?" Ava poked my face and I pushed her hand down. "You're usually a sour grump but not like this."

"Agh, knock it off!" I yelled and the whole hallway went silent as everyone turned to us. Ava stood wide eyed and so did Michael. I took a deep breath and took a step back. I could hear the whispers filling the air.

"No, it's fine. I understand." Ava said. "Let's just, go I suppose." I turned and continued down my warpath. Everyone's eyes were locked onto me but for some reason I felt like people weren't hating me, they were rather adoring me instead. Bunch of idiots, if you ask me.

We got into my car and drove off. Not one person sat in the front seat. Honestly, I was starting to feel pretty bad but know Ava, she would be over it in no time at all.

We got out of the car and walked inside. All of us walking towards the bathrooms in order to change into uniforms.

"Why are you so mean to everyone?" Michael asked from the stall next to mine.

"I don't know." I replied.

"But you do know that you're a jerk?" Michael asked.

"Yes, this I know very well." I said. "Trust me I have a reputation for it."

"Why would you want that to be your reputation?" Michael asked. "And why do people like you if you're so rude?"

"Honestly, Michael, I have no idea." I said. "I don't deserve people to like me and probably deserve to be shot in the face ten times."

"Come on I didn't say that.."

"I know. I'm saying that." I said as I walked out of the stall and washed my hands in the sink.

"You don't have to be so hard on yourself." Michael replied.

"I have every reason to be and if I'm not I won't go anywheres and then where will that get me?" I replied turning my head to see Michael standing next to me.

Michael had a puzzled look on his face but did not say a word about it. Instead he sighed and then turned to wash his hands.

"I don't understand you." Michael said as I rubbed my hands dry.

"You're not supposed to." I shrugged. "Why would I need you to understand me?"

"See, now you're starting to be rude again." Michael said as he flicked water in my face.

My first reaction was to pull my hand back, as if I was going to hit him. But when I saw him cower I slid my hand down my side. Biting down on my lip.

"Sorry." I muttered.

"Huh? I-It's fine." Michael stuttered as we grabbed our things and walked out of the room. Through the restaurant and into the back where we parked them.

"We still have time." I said and plopped down in a chair near the wall. Fiddling with the hat in my hand.

"Why is it," I began and Michael turned to me. "Sometimes you have some absolute power to be brave enough to stand against me. But other times you fear me."

"I've never gained anything from fearing people." Michael said. "And I just try my best to stand against you. Even though sometimes my best is never enough."

I folded my arms and tottered back and forth. "You must hate having to work with me."

"Oh I can't stand you." Michael said. I had no idea if he was serious or not. But I felt like he was, I mean, he had a deadpan look on his face.

It was odd to have someone not like me, after all for some reason everyone liked me. But much like Michael, I had no idea why.

We clocked in and were assigned to front counter. I mainly put orders together. Eventually I sent Michael into the back when it was slow, to get a few more items to restock.

I was standing at the counter talking to Ava when I heard the door open.

I turned and could see a group of several people walking in. One had their hood pulled over their head and he was pretty scrawny. The other had a wire-like beard and a dark green hat on his head and was slightly over weight. The girl was short and almost looked familiar behind her dark locks but I never looked further.

I walked over and listed to their order. Punching it in on the screen. I waited for them to pull money out and turned to Samantha walking through behind me to grab something.

I turned back to see them holding out a twenty to me. When I put it in the drawer and grabbed their change. Looking up the change spilt out of my hand as I heard gasps as I was frozen.

As I was looking down the barrel of a gun.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Double update but a cliffhanger. Ha HA.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX