Chapter Ten

(Clarke's POV)

Octavia stuck to her word and did indeed return in time for dinner. They had another delicious feast, which Lexa insisted wasn't that big of a meal, and were able to keep up a light conversation throughout. After they had finished eating, Lexa and Arya left to go finish up some last minute preparations for the arrival of the clans. With both Clarke and Octavia being too tired to go out exploring anymore, the two girls decided to go and read in the library. Their reading time only lasted for an hour before Octavia got bored and started talking. At first Clarke was nervous. She hadn't really talked to Octavia since before she left and she didn't really feel like it was the time to revisit past events. Thankfully Octavia felt the same way and decided to steer their conversation in a lighter direction. They began talking about Polis and all that they had discovered and were soon chatting like nothing bad had ever happened. They talked for hours and didn't realize how late it had gotten until Arya poked her head around the door and recommended they get to sleep soon. Clarke was now laying in her bed, staring up at the black ceiling above her. Without Lexa, it was extremely difficult to fall asleep. She had debated going to find her but decided against it. Lexa had a lot to deal with right now, she probably just needed some space to rest and prepare for tomorrow. Clarke rolled over, attempted to get into a more comfortable position, and closed her eyes.

Something soft and light landed on her face, startling Clarke from her sleep. She reached up to remove whatever it was and jumped when an excited voice materialized out of the dark.

"Hurry up and put those on. I have a surprise for you."

Clarke sat up and looked around but the room was pitch black.

"Clarke come on."

The voice was definitely Lexa's, but the tone which she used was not. 

"Lexa? What the hell?"

A bright light was clicked on, nearly blinding Clarke. She quickly put a hand over her face to block the harsh light. When her eyes had slightly adjusted she looked over. Lexa was standing by her bed, her face lite with a newfound excitement. Clarke looked down at the clothing items that Lexa had thrown onto her. They were made from a material Clarke had never felt before, but they essentially looked like underwear.

"Okay what is going on? Are you drunk or something?"

Lexa smirked and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Hardly. There is a full moon tonight and I thought we could go swimming. I have no clue what the outcome of the meeting will be and so I thought..."

When Clarke didn't return Lexa's excitement her smile dropped and she shifted awkwardly on the bed.

"But if you don't want to that's fine. Sorry. It was a bad idea."

Lexa blushed and moved to leave but Clarke placed a gentle hand on her arm to stop her.

"I'm sorry Lexa, I was just very... surprised, but I would love to."

The playful glint returned to her eyes at Clarke's reply.

"But Lexa? Why do I have to wear this?"

She confusedly held up the undergarments with a questioning look in her eye. Lexa smirked again before replying.

"It's what we wear to go swimming. The material it's made of is specially designed for water. I swear I'm not just trying to see you half naked."

The corners of her mouth turned up and Clarke blushed before looking away. Who is this and what have they done with the Commander?