Chapter Eight

(Lexa's POV)

Lexa allowed herself a small smile as her horse picked it's way down the hill. She was home. They reached the gates of the city and the guards were quick to open it, shouting warm welcomes to her as she passed. They continued forth down the main street, heading straight towards her home. It didn't take long before the citizens of Polis burst forth, hoping to catch a glimpse of their Commander. She looked out of the corner of her eyed and smirked at Clarke. Her jaw was hanging open in astonishment and her eyes were wide with wonder. Lexa gave a small wave and smiled at everyone gathered around. She didn't have to be as guarded around these people. They were the farmers, the bakers, the engineers. This is where all the children were born and raised. Lexa glanced over again at Clarke and found the blonde girl staring back at her, confusion written all over her face.

"I will explain it all to you later, Clarke."

She smiled softly in amusement and then stopped her horse. They had arrived home. A few young girls came rushing over to greet them.

"Welcome back Heda!"

Lexa nodded at the girls in acknowledgment and slid off her horse.

"Give all the horses a stall in the barn and make sure they have lots to eat. They have worked hard."

The two girls nodded in unison and then bustled off to go take everyone's horses and put them away. Lexa watched them, noting how happy they were. The happiness of her people gave her contentment.

"Welcome back Lexa."

She turned around at the familiar voice and engulfed the girl in a huge.

"Arya. I'm so happy to see you. How has everything been?"

The young woman smiled.

"Everything has been just fine but we can discuss all that later. You must be exhausted. Come, follow me. I have your room all made up and supper is being cooked as we speak."

Arya was one of Lexa's most trusted advisors. She made sure everything in Polis ran smoothly while Lexa was away. Lexa made to follow her but stopped quickly, remembering who was all with her.

"I actually need two more rooms made up."

She turned so she was half facing Clarke and half facing Arya.

"Arya, this is Clarke and Octavia. They are Skaikru and will be staying with us."

Arya smiled warmly at them.

"Of course. How nice to meet you Clarke and Octavia. You can all come with me and I will show you to your rooms."

Arya began walking again and this time they all followed. Lexa hoped that Polis would give Clarke just as much peace as it always gave her.

(Clarke's POV)

Clarke was in complete and utter awe. So much so that she momentarily forgot everything that had happened and why they were here in the first place. Arya lead them into the mansion. Lexa had told her that she had a house in Polis. Clarke didn't really know much about houses, but she was pretty sure this classified as a hotel. They had to walk up three sets of marble steps before they could even enter through the huge double doors. As they entered, and as Clarke got a view of the grand foyer, she changed her mind. This was a castle.

"I'll show you to your rooms first. I can give you a tour later."

Arya quickly glanced around at them before continuing forth and starting up one of the huge staircases. They went past four floors before Arya finally stopped. Clarke was panting but Lexa didn't seem bothered. Arya turned and began down a long hallway, her footsteps echoing on the hardwood. She turned to the second room on her right.