Chapter 4 - Leon's Suggestion

Light filters in through the stained glass windows, making the room seem to almost glow in the afternoon shine. Documents of all kinds are strewn across the table, messily laid out to help ensure they could be viewed all at the same time. The room is silent save for the quiet snore coming from the prince dozing off on the table. His arms are crossed under his head as he sleeps, occasionally shifting to find a more comfortable position. A lazy smile is spread across Arthur's face as he catches up on some well deserved rest. 

The week had been hectic without Merlin around to help him. Indeed, George is an excellent manservant, but he didn't trust the man to do certain tasks, such as writing his speeches. Though Merlin may have been an idiot, at least the boy could write an outstanding speech. George on the other hand was dull not only when he spoke, but in writing as well. Thus, Arthur had stayed up late on numerous occasions during the week preparing speeches for upcoming feasts or knighting ceremonies. He was tired and bored beyond belief without Merlin around to make his witty comments. Honestly, he wanted nothing more than to have a break, but of course, that had to be ruined too. 

In the middle of his rest, the doors to the council chambers slam open. Arthur jolts awake, sitting straight up in his chair, grabbing his quill, and pretending he hadn't just been sleeping on the job. He looks up at the intruder, sending them a stern glare as they enter the room and shut the door behind them. He heaves a sigh after finding his most trusted knights standing in front of him, wide and proud smiles on their faces. If someone were to wake him, couldn't it have at least been for an emergency?

He tosses the quill onto the table before leaning back against his chair, resting his elbows on the armrests. He raises an eyebrow at the group, looking between all of them as he waits for them to state why they were here disturbing his rest. 

"I have an idea," Leon declares, a wide grin on his face that is shared amongst the others. 

"An idea for...?" Arthur asks, looking even more confused than before.

"For your issue with courting Merlin, of course."

Arthur sighs, looking away, eyes filled with sadness. "There is no need. Merlin doesn't love me and he never will."

"You're giving up?"

Arthur gives a small nod. "All I've done is hurt him these past few days. I'm sure he hates me now more than before!"

"You're gonna let him leave? Let some other woman or man take him? Would you be satisfied with that?" Gwaine almost yells the questions, slamming his hands down on the table. 

The prince simply averts his gaze, picking  up one of the documents to examine. "If he's happy then I don't see a problem."

Lancelot stalks over, practically tearing the parchment from the prince's hand. "He has yet to give you an answer. You still have a chance. I know Merlin. He keeps everything bottled up inside. Maybe he loves you too but is just too afraid to say it. You may not believe it, but hiding secrets is one thing he is very good at."

Arthur tries not to laugh at Lancelot's last statement. "Merlin doesn't have any secrets. If he did, I would know."

Lancelot rolls his eyes at the man. "That is not the point. If you give up now, you may lose the person you care for the most. Trust me. I almost lost Gwen to you. I know how painful that can be."

Arthur sighs, looking up at the firm gaze of his most loyal knight. "Alright. What's this new idea you have?"

The group smiles. Lancelot steps back to allow Leon the chance to speak. "I suggest you show Merlin your heroism."

"My heroism?"

"Yes, Merlin isn't a fighter. He can hardly defend himself. Show him you're someone that can protect him. After all, who can resist a knight in shining armour?"