Chapter 3 - Lancelot's Suggestion

Arthur lets out a breath of relief once he finally manages to force George out of the room. He quickly scrambles out of bed and bolts the door shut, ensuring the man and his brass jokes could not come back.

He leans against the door, feeling his muscles ache from the previous day. He wanted nothing more than to remain cooped up in his chambers all day and rest, but he was still the prince and the prince had duties. On instinct, he almost calls for Merlin before realising he wouldn't be coming this time. 

Arthur sighs, heading towards the neatly folded pile of clothes at the foot of his bed. He picks up his tunic, unfolding it and turning it over in his hand, trying to find the opening where his head is supposed to go. He scrunches up his face at the difficulty of the task. When he finally finds it, he pulls the shirt over his head. He pulls on his trousers next, thankfully those are easier, then puts on his boots. He smiles at himself proudly in the mirror, feeling a sense of accomplishment at fulfilling the task. This will show Merlin he most certainly can dress himself in the mornings. 

He turns and heads out the door, running through the day's schedule in his head. Training isn't for another hour. He should have time to run down to the physician's chambers and visit Merlin. 

He throws open the door and barges in, startling Gaius who's seated on the bench with a bowl of porridge in front of him. Merlin's huddled across from the old man, a blanket around his shoulders and a bored expression on his face at seeing Arthur as though this is a daily occurrence. He sneezes, rubbing at his nose before looking up from his food. 

"I hope you aren't expecting me to come to work today," he says, before sneezing again.

"No, only came to make sure you won't," Arthur says with a small smile, taking in the sight of his manservant. Merlin seems paler than usual, his nose is red while his eyes look tired and bloodshot. He can see Merlin's shivering slightly as well, despite it being the middle of summer and he had a blanket around his shoulders. 

Merlin gives a cheeky grin, "Never knew you cared."

A stab of pain goes through Arthur's chest at his servant's words. He silently hopes Merlin didn't mean what he said before rolling his eyes. "I didn't want you spreading your disease throughout the castle. If everyone started falling ill, there would be trouble. Since it's just you there isn't much to worry about, not like you ever did much even when you were healthy."

Merlin chuckles, "And you aren't worried about falling ill yourself? Oh wait, I forgot. Idiot's don't catch colds."

Arthur sends his servant a sharp glare which Merlin returns with a smile. Arthur sighs, letting a smile creep onto his face as well because he can never be mad at Merlin for long. He can pretend to sometimes, yes, but to be genuinely mad? Never. No matter what Merlin did, he could never stay mad.

Arthur walks over and ruffles at his servant's hair, bringing a bright smile onto the boy's face. "I expect you back at work by tomorrow, you understand?" 

Merlin grins, "Of course, sire."

The prince smiles and turns back towards the door, before he's even able to take one step he hears Merlin speak, "Did you dress yourself today?"

"Yes, and as you can see I am perfectly capable of dressing myself," Arthur replies smugly, his ego growing larger at having the servant notice. 

Merlin bursts out laughing. He only stops when he erupts into a fit of coughs but not even that could wipe the amused smile on his face as he points at Arthur's chest. "Your tunic's on backwards." 

Arthur looks down, only realizing now that the laces of his tunic aren't where they're supposed to be. He blushes, and looks away. "Is there a place I can change?"