Chapter One - We'll start with forever

I awoke for the second time that morning, but this time it was light rather than dark. Looking at the faded red numbers that read 10:41 I realized I’d overslept. I did tell Ryan I would get up whenever but I was never one to get up this late. I sighed and hauled myself out of the bed, which took a considerable amount of effort these days. I swivelled around to face the heavenly heap of bedding that was beckoning me back and reluctantly pulled the thick quilt up to make it look a little bit like I made the bed. There was a neatly folded piece of paper on Ryan’s pillow, and I leant over and snatched it up before I fell onto the mattress. I grumbled when I realised I just messed the bed up again, but instead focused my attention on the note. Opening it, I saw Ryan’s handwriting.

*Blair,

Good morning you lazy shit, I assume you slept in like you always do when I leave early for these meetings. I miss you already.

I’ll be back around two, so I’ll see you then. According to the answering machine, Laura and your mum want to call in.

Love you baby,

Ryan. ♥*

It was signed with a scribbled heart at the end, showing that he was definitely in a hurry, but still made time to write his wife a sweet note. I reread it and smiled at the first sentence. This guy was amazing, and he was all mine. I was the luckiest girl in the world. I placed the note back on the bed and headed out into the kitchen to rummage through the pantry for food that interested me. My hunger was really bugging me, I was always hungry. I was always hungry before too, but that had a sense of boredom. This was full gnawing hunger, constantly clawing at my stomach from the inside. I craved food 24/7. And sometimes for the weirdest things. Yesterday I had this whole episode because all I felt like eating was peanuts dipped in chocolate, nothing else. It was bizarre.

I finally found something worth eating, a cup of beef flavoured noodles. I shrugged at the choice, seeing it as the best in the pantry filled with thousands of items, and got it prepared. Just as I put the boiling water in the cup, my cell began to ring from the bedroom. I quickly poured the water to the level and looked around desperately for something to cover the top. I spotted a bowl and shoved it onto the cup to keep the steam in, then hurled myself into the bedroom, landing on the bed. So much for trying to make it look nice. It was a little untidy before, but this was just horrible.

"Hello?" I said into the phone, which I'd set on speaker to make it easier for myself.

"Blair!"

"Laura!"

"How are you?" she asked, and it felt good to hear her chirpy voice.

"I'm pretty great, how are you?"

I heard her laugh. "You're always great when you're with Ryan. I'm good. Hey, did you see the message on your machine?"

I shook my head before stupidly realizing that she couldn't really decode that. I put my answer into words instead. "No, but I did hear you wanted to call in. Go ahead, I'm home all day. Got nothing to do really."

"Great, mum and I will come over around 2? I'm really looking forward to seeing you, Blair!"

"You too! I have to go, got food cooking, see you then. Love you!"

I barely heard her say 'love you too!' before I clicked off of the call. Normally I would have stayed on a bit longer to talk to my only sister, but my stomach had other ideas. Damn pregnancy. I snapped the case shut that held my phone. I'd kept the one I'd had since I was about 15, the musical diamante one. It reminded me how much things had… changed. I heaved my body off of the bed and walked out into the kitchen to eat. The noodle cup sat on a counter that was covered in bottles and glasses. I walked over and peeled the lid off to eat it, finding a clean spot on the bench and lifting myself up to sit on it. I dipped my fork into the noodles and saw how much steam was rising from them. I sighed, knowing it would completely burn the inside of my mouth, and instead put the cup down and turned and looked at the wreck of a kitchen bench. It really needed some cleaning, so I grabbed as many beer bottles as I could in two hands and put them in the bin, needing to do at least 3 trips because of the amount there was. I neatly stacked all of the glasses into the dishwasher -- it was like a game of Tetris with the amount of things I could fit in that thing -- and set it, all of which took me at least 5 minutes tops. I turned back to the noodles and sighed in bliss when I saw the steam had decreased. Food, my mind groaned happily. My favourite thing in the world. …Besides Ryan. And the baby. And Laura. I rolled my eyes at how far the list could go on and instead snatched up the pot.