Chapter Twenty-One - The Get-Out

One year earlier

'Stone! You have a visitor!' The nurse called me out to the visitor's room on a Tuesday morning.

I had been in rehab in Los Angeles for two weeks so far and since Norman left me there, I had no visitors, I got only phone calls from him or Mingus. I would have lied if I woulda said that I didn't feel abandoned a bit. And bored, a lot. The drugs were washed out of my system and my withdrawal sympthoms were gone as well, so the days were all long and uneventful.

The place was high class, even a few celebs were in there but of course, they kept the distance from us, the regular addicted people. Some of them recognized me as Norman Reedus's problematic foster daughter but I ignored them completely. I didn't need anybody saying how awful I treated Norman, yada yada...

I stood up from the chair which was in the corner of my room and put my book down. I wasn't really reading it, my eyes were only hovering over the words, didn't really understand what I was reading about. My mind was so far away from the book, from the room, the institute and all that crap. I was looking after ways to escape.

I was prepared to meet with Norman. He mentioned me the last time we'd talked on the phone that he's going to visit me soon, presumably with Mingus. So I was almost surprised to see someone else in the waiting room.

'Flanery?!'

'Hello, little dove.' Sean said, coming closer to me with open arms.

I met with Sean Patrick Flanery a few months later than I had moved in to Norman's. I learnt that they were besties for ages and even physical distance couldn't cut their bond. He seemed to be a nice and funny guy, and I gave him plus points because he never treated me like a drug addicted slut, he never gave me high speeches about how should I act. When he was around me, I felt like being bad is normal – which, I admitted since then, was the worst thing.

'What are you doing here?' I asked, sitting down at the table without hugging him. Sean put his hand over his heart, making faces like my rejection would hurt him. I shot him down with a cool stare.

'Alright.' He said and sat down in front of me. 'How's life goin'?'

'Seriously?' I know he was only mocking me but I wasn't in the mood to bear his stupidity.

'You don't seem to be happy to see me...' Sean said, with a pouty face.

'That's maybe because we're in a fucking rehab, dumbass.' I spat back. Sean didn't even flinch, he was so used to my behaviour.

'Yeah, I see...' He said, looking around like he only recognized where we were in that moment. 'That's why we're not gonna stay here.' He said simply and in that second, the same nurse who asked me out, brought me my jacket (although it was summer in California). 'Oh, thank you, missy.' Sean said to her, winking at her (Sean was a real womanizer) taking the jacket from her.

'You're welcome, Mr. Flanery.' The nurse – as I read, her name was Olive – said, blushing.

'Please... Call me Sean.' I felt as vomit was coming up higher and higher from my stomach. To distract both of the love birds, I tore my jacket out of Sean's hand and put that on. Olive cleared his throat and almost unnoticeably shook her head to clear her mind.

'Please, don't forget to bring her back at 6PM, sharp.' She said and Sean only nodded, didn't turn his eyes away of her cleavage. Olive turned around and left us together in the visitor's room.

'What's happening?!' I asked, almost shocked, but Sean ignored me and stood up, walking toward to the exit. 'I'm not going anywhere til you'll tell me what's goin' on!'