Chapter Twenty - Trust

Days passed like seconds. Even if all days seemed to be similar, I enjoyed all of them and felt dread about the end of August: my twenty-first birthday. As we came closer and closer to the big day, Norman came up with a possible birthday party, in Georgia with the cast and crew. Only a few month ago it would have been impossible to even think about it. Everyone hated me (okay, not everyone, only the 90% of the people at the shooting) but during the last two weeks all the people started to become nicer and thoughtful towards me. I still worked mostly for Greg and I loved all the moments of making walkers all day long but if there was only scences without them, I used to help the normal make-up assistants and I usually worked on Norman, which only meant to smear him with some dirty cream.

'Please, don't make me look like a walker...' Norman joked as I was coating his face with the junk.

 'Ha, I wouldn't have to do much... You already look like one!' I said back, referring to his tired face. 'You shouldn't travel this much, it kills your charm.' I joked and he laughed that hard that I almost get some dirty into his eye.  

Norman occationally left me in Georgia while he was away to a convention or whatever. The first time Norman asked Greg to let me in to his house for that two days. That was the most wonderful two days of my life. Greg, spending all of his time with me (I wonder if that happaned because he was scared to leave me alone or give me an opportunity to escape) showed me even more tricks and ways to prepare masks. We didn't really talked about much, even if he tried, I avoided his questions. Soon, he understood that I didn't want to talk about how I was feeling, how I and Norman could get along, if I had plans for the future or not... We were simply the Master and the Educand. When Norman came home and saw all of my practise jobs I did when he was away, Norman was so happy and most importantly: relieved.

'I'm so proud of you. I have to admit, I was all nervous during this weekend even if Greg reassured me you were alright...' Norman said in the car while we were heading home. I felt happiness that he said that. I still wanted to do everything right for him. Suddenly, he pulled aside on the road and stopped the car in the middle of nowhere.

'What are you doing? Why are we stopping?' I asked, not really knowing what was happening.

Norman took off his sunglasses and turned fully towards me which always meant that he wanted to tell me something really important. 'I was in New York this weekend.' He confessed quietly.

'Wait, I thought you were in Tulsa this weekend.' I said, confused.

'Yes, but I had to go to NYC.' Norman said nervously. He let out a deep sigh and I knew that whatever he was about to tell me, I won't really like it. 'They called me, Reira.' My mouth immediately went dry and felt the lump in my throat. Everytime he said that they called him (meaning the custodian office and Ms. Grabbs) that meant something bad. Norman looked at me and saw the full agony and scare in my eyes. He took my still paint-covered hands into his big ones and forced me to focus on him. 'It's okay, Reira. Nothing bad happened, I promise, it's okay.'

'Then why did they call you?' I asked, almost crying.

'They wanted to remind me of your birthday and the end of the custody. They wanted to know about how your things are going since you're out. And they asked about your future plans and... Our future plans.'

Saying it that our plans my heart missed a beat. I'd never thought about my life like I had to make plans for us.

'And what our plans are...?' I asked carefully, trying to hide my concern that maybe I would get negative answers. Or the answer I was afraid of: that we had no plans for us.