Chapter Nine - Going With The Flow

I may can tell about the day after the accident. That I woke up in a hospital room alone, realizing the fact that Kieran was dead. That I was abandoned. That the doctors had to sedate me for two more days, tied down to the bed, to calm me down, preventing of my self-harm. The days when the cops and doctors tried to make me understand that I can't just go home like nothing had happened. Not only because of my broken ankle or that they found a good dose of heroin in my system (and my backpack as well), but because there was no place I could go to. I had no living kin around me. Kieran was the last member of my family alive and now that I had lost him and that I was only sixteen... The only place had left was the orphanage. And then the side effects of not having my usual dose had kicked in, I was in delusion for long long days til I finally woke up to be... More alone. Depression swept me off of my feet and I wasn't even able to go to my own brother's funeral.

I was in hospital for almost three weeks, most of my wounds had already healed, only my ankle was plastered.

One day, a woman came into my room. I could tell about her that she worked for the goverment: grey costume, ugly and almost man shoes on her feet, lawyer styled briefcase, geek glasses on her perfectly make-upless face, straight brown hair and the expression on her face, like she was the ruler of the world.

'Good morning, Sareira!' I so hated if someone called me on my full name.

'Just Reira.' I growled back and she sent me a fake smile. 'Who the fuck are you?' Her smile faded away and there the I-know-it-all-face came back.

'My name is Kirsten Grabbs, from Child Protection Department of the State of New York.' I could hear out of her voice that she was so full on herself by her title.

'So what the fuck are you doing here?' Ms. Grabbs took in a deep sigh, trying to avoid my harsh words. I doubted that I was the first "child" who talked to her like this. She pulled the chair under herself and then looked me in the eye.

'Sa... Reira.' At least, she tried. 'First of all, let me tell you how much I feel sorry for you for your loss. And I really hope that you know that I and my co-workers will do everything to help you through this heavy part of your young life.' I had been feeling nauseated for long days but that was the first moment I actually felt like I was gonna throw up. The bitch waited for some response or tears but she fucked up, got nothing of them from me, so she went on. 'Dr. Márquez have acknowledged me that you are concerned about your emplacement. I have to tell you that your case is very specific. Due to your age, you are too young to live alone and yet too old to just put you in an orphan's house. And there is the drug case as well. The police is ready to sue you if you are not going to collaborate with them.' I tried to feel like I was scared of being sued because of the shit load of heroin but... I wasn't. I looked at her blankly, barely blinking, emotionless. 'Reira, do you hear me?'

'You're sitting a fucking meter away from me... What the fuck you think?' I responded, my voice only a whisper.

'Look, there's a chance, your only chance to get out of this embarrassing situation.' I shot my eyes at her. Somehow I could feel that I won't like the idea. Grabbs pulled out a folder of her briefcase, opened it and searched for the right paragraph on the second page. And that was a huge file. When she had found what she was looking after, she looked back at me. 'Do you know who Norman Reedus is?'

I narrowed my eyes, my mind was empty but I was sure I had never heard that name before. 'No.' I answered honestly. I looked up at the clock above Grabbs' head, it showed 10 AM, almost the time of my daily dose of medicines, the ones what helped me get off of drugs. I swallowed hard, my throat was already dried by only thinking of drugs. Getting off was hard and my first time I had even tried.

'He is the man you and... and your brother were about to visit when the accident happened.' Grabbs told me and I tried to turn my look off of the watch, trying not counting the seconds til 11 AM.

'So?' I snapped, felt impatient. I needed the medicines so much.

'The police and CPD had an agreement. You're not going to go neither to the orphan's house, nor to jail if you will agree that you will partake a drug rehabilitation.' Normally, I should have felt fear and should have been angry and mad, coursing like a furia - but I remained silent and felt nothing. I listened to her like she was talking about someone else I didn't know, altough I knew she was talking about me. The fact that I had to go to rehab had found me senseless. When Grabbs saw that, she continued. 'And after they will release you, Mr. Reedus is going to take care of you, until you are able to take care of yourself.'

The last part of the sentence caught my attention. Taking care of myself. Not like I hadn't been taking care most of myself and of Kieran as well. If they would only knew how much I had to take care of each of us... They would have already released me. 'When that will be?' That was the only thing I was curious about.

'It depends on you. If you are co-operative and you will quit using drugs... Maybe you can be on your own after your eighteenth birthday.'

No need to say, I wasn't released on my eighteenth birthday, mostly because that was the second time I was in an institute. But then, I had nothing else to do, only to nod and agree with the pact they had offered me.

On the next day, I was sitting on my bed, doodling into the little notepad what one of the nurses had given me when someone entered my room. I though it was only a nosey doctor or nurse, I paid no attention to the person's prescence but when after a while the man was still standing there and even was coming closer, I looked up and already dropped my pencil. It was him. The man who was at the scene of the accident. The one who called the police. The one who Kieran and I were about to visit. I forgot his name.

'Hi.' He said simply, looking at me anxiously, coming more closer. 'I'm Norman. Norman Reedus.'

And that's how our story had begun. From that day, Norman had been visiting me every day until the day of my release from the hospital.

Norman told me everything about his life - that he was an actor and he'd just started to film a new series in the desert of Georgia. That he had a son, Mingus who was eleven then and Norman shared his custody with Mingus' mother, the famous top model, Helena Christensen, who I had not heard about before. Norman even told me that he and Kieran had been friends for years - tough I hadn't ever met him in my life and altough Norman had known about me a lot.

'Kieran always talked about you. He loved you so much.' Norman said and I got angry.

'Never ever talk about him again...' I snapped and turned my back to him in my bed. And that was the last time we talked about him.

And then a week later, after the doctors had removed my plaster from my ankle and they had thought I was ready to partake rehab, they discharged me. Norman came in to the hospital in the morning to help me get ready and to take me to his place, my new home until I was about to start the treatment at a class A place in the outskirt of New York. He carried my backpack, with some of my own clothes.

'How did you get them?' I asked confused. I was pretty sure that the jeans and the tee were in my drawer at home, in my room. Well, my old room.

'The CPD sent me all of yer stuffs the other day. I put everything into yer new room at my place, didn't touch anything but grabbed some clothes I thought ya need.' I simply nodded and took all of the clothes into the bathroom with me, to change into them. When I finished changing, I looked into the mirror and watched my tousled and sick face. I couldn't stand my look so I went back to the room. Norman was sitting on the bed, waiting and looked at me when I came out.

'Ya ready?' He asked, worry in his deep husky voice.

It's not about I wasn't ready. I didn't care. If I would have had to go to my own execution, I would have not cared at all as well. I went with the flow. And with Norman, to start something new.