Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Annabeth

            “Percy!” Annabeth screamed. She could only stand there, dazed, watching her boyfriend struggle to stand twenty feet below.

            “Perseus Jackson,” Arachne hissed silkily. “It’s my pleasure to kill you. Won’t it be nice to rest in Elysium for the rest of eternity? No more pain, no more struggling. Your girlfriend will join you in death soon enough.”

            Instead of making a cocky reply, Percy stood, swaying, Riptide in his hand. His green eyes glazed over, his mouth falling open in wonder. Something in the offer appealed to him, and this was tearing Annabeth apart. He wanted to die instead of fight?

            “Percy Jackson!” Annabeth yelled. He looked up at her, obviously dazed. “You are not about to pick death over fighting, are you? You’re a bigger idiot than I thought!”

            He ignored her. Tears stung her eyes, but she didn’t want to seem weak in front of Arachne. Her own boyfriend was willing to die. If he died, she would die.

            “That’s a good demigod,” Arachne purred deep in her throat, obviously happy. She scurried forward until she stood barely a foot away from Percy. “It’ll be quick and painless. I promise.”

            Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut, stifling a sob rising to her lips. She was much too weak to make the jump below, and it was too painful to watch her boyfriend’s death.

            “Percy…” The words slipped out before she could stop them. “I love you!”

            Her eyes opened against her will. Arachne was striking, her spider arms aiming for his spine. But suddenly, Percy’s green eyes lost the hazy layer, and he was instantly alert. Right before Arachne could finish him; he leaped into the air, his feet making contact with her spider back, rolling safely on the other side of her. He stood up straight, gripping Riptide in both hands so tight his knuckles were white and purple.

            “Did you really think I would want to die?” he snarled, a smirk flitting up to his features. “I would be a great actor. I just decided to fight back so my girlfriend wouldn’t have a heart attack.”

            Another sob made its way to Annabeth’s throat, but it was of relief and happiness. Percy was smart; she had nearly forgotten he was so clever. He wasn’t about to die, she should have never doubted him.

            Arachne obviously wasn’t pleased. She gave an animal-like shriek, leaping into the air, her arms out. The shadow of her body was over Percy, and his eyes grew.

            Everything seemed to slow down. Arachne landed on top of Percy, her huge spider body crushing him. He was thrashing beneath her, trying to slice her with Riptide, but one of her spider arms was pinning down his wrist. Her other seven arms were slashing on his chest, slashing until a rip filled the air, his camp shirt ripped clean off his body. His free hand gripped his chest in obvious pain, a strangled cry slipping from his lips, which were set apart in a large O. Between his fingertips blood spilled onto his arm.