Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Jason

Jason knew Leo’s plan would most likely get him killed- but he wanted to try a crazy plan. This leadership role was too much for him. He didn’t have a single plan.

The demigods had left the Argo II and were trekking on foot up the sloping hill. On Frank’s shoulder was the crate filled with the jars of Greek fire. Jason looked down at the jar in his hands. The green flames danced around on the inside, curling up and pressing against the glass, looking like it wanted to escape.

At the top of the hill, Jason got a good look of the beach. There was a road right behind them. If a car drove by he was positive that would be trouble. The monsters kept walking where the waves lapped up on shore, the brilliant colors of emerald and aqua turning the rocky beach a beige color. Crete was beautiful, but the monsters just soiled the view.

“We all know the plan, right?” Leo asked. “We just go down there, keep the Greek fire close to you, and use your jar when it’s absolutely necessary. I’ll be by the box, so come to me if you need any! Are there any questions?”

Nobody spoke up. The cold sea breeze and early morning air was cold. The others wrapped their arms around themselves and zip up their jackets. The bright anticipation in Leo’s eyes was slowly fading by the lack of reaction. The smile on his face vanished and he cleared his throat awkwardly.

“Anyways, when I say the words, let’s charge,” he finally said. “Frank, when we get down there, hand me the box, okay?”

Frank gave a nod and steadied the crate on his shoulder. He faced the beach that the monsters were milling on, his dark eyes completely emptied of emotion.

Trying to relax his sore muscles, Jason sighed, realizing he had been holding his breath. The warm jar of Greek fire in his hand warmed his whole body. He crouched lower to the ground, ready to charge at Leo’s signal. This idea, he realized slightly too late, was going to probably going to kill them all.

As long as Percy and Annabeth live, a voice inside of him piped up. As long as those two live everything will turn out okay.

“Ready…” Leo breathed softly. With a flick of his hand, he yelled, “Go!” Being the one to call the signal, he jumped off the rock he was perched on and got a head start.

The others, realizing it was time to charge, jumped. Jason controlled the air to give him a little boost so he would be the first one to fight in battle. He landed on his feet with a slight thud, his legs already carrying him to run faster. The rocks under his feet made him slower than usual, but fast nonetheless. His breaths came in quick pants, his lungs begging for him to slow down. He didn’t want to slow down. Adrenaline gave him more energy, which made him go even faster. He ran ahead of everyone, passing all his friends. He finally was leading his friends into battle, the way it was supposed to be like. Percy gave him this role. Jason wasn’t going to let Percy down.

The monsters, with their acute hearing, had heard the demigods. They gave the demigods nasty scowls. They were probably thinking I’m ready to rip up some demigods. Their eyes were wild and bloodthirsty, low growls escaping their lips.

Jason held out his gladius, a smirk tugging at his lips. “For Rome!” he yelled, slicing his blade through an ogre. He spun around again, barely missing an ogre’s club to his face. He decided that he would have to be light on his feet during this battle.

To his left, he heard the sound of a small explosion. The ground shook under him. He willed a glance over his shoulder to see Nico without a jar, running off, his clothes covered in soot and dirt.