Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Frank

“Gaea’s been telling me to kill Jason and Piper.”

Immediately Hazel gasped, staggering a few steps back. Piper clasped her hand over her mouth, her eyes widening. Jason and Nico whipped out their blades, holding it out to Leo. Coach Hedge just raised an eyebrow. Frank, however, already had his bow up, an arrow notched in place.

“No, no!” Hazel stood right in front of Frank, her nose inches away from the arrow tip. “He hasn’t tried, Frank! Put your bow down!”

He saw her eyes, golden and wide like usual. But instead of filled with hope and determination, all he saw was fear. He found himself lowering his bow, looking into Hazel’s eyes.

Leo automatically exhaled in relief. He looked around, his face white with sweat on his forehead. “Guys, do you really think I could kill my best friends?”

Everyone instantly relaxed. Coach Hedge looked sullen, crossing his arms and giving a pitiful look to Leo. Jason sighed and looked wearily at Leo. Nico lowered his sword slowly, as if contemplating to stay tense. Piper buried her face in her hands. Hazel wiped her eyes, which were moist, whether with relief or worry, Frank had no idea.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Hazel asked quietly as she rubbed her eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

The pain was horrible. Frank would rather be stabbed with a stake.

“I… I was scared,” Leo said, sinking onto the nearest bed, which happened to be Piper’s. She buried her face into his shoulder and he looked down at her. “But I rather die than kill my best friends.”

“How was she… talking to you?” Jason asked in a calm voice. He was probably trying to keep the tension under control. He was trying to be the leader. It was slowly working. “Leo, this is important.”

“They were just whispers at first,” Leo said in a soft voice. He took a shaky breath. “All I could hear were murmurs. Kill the son of Jupiter and daughter of Aphrodite, she had said. Make sure to spill their blood. It will be very helpful. She kept… almost taking over my mind every time I grabbed a weapon.”

“How long has this been going on, Valdez?” Hedge barked gruffly, a look of strong disapproval set on his face.

“A while…” Leo hung his head. “I didn’t want to tell you guys. I was afraid that she would hurt you…”

Everything was silent. Frank could hear everyone breathing quietly, and each movement.

“Go to sleep,” Coach Hedge suddenly announced. “It’s getting late. Get into bed now, cupcakes!”

Everyone started moving as if defrosted. Frank turned out of the sickbay and went down to his room. When his hand was on the doorknob, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around and found himself looking down at Hazel, who smiled slightly.

“Quite a night, wasn’t it?” she murmured, smiling slightly. “Listen, I’m sorry about the Leo thing…”

“Hazel, I already said I’m okay.” He put his hand on her cheek, and she glanced down. “Do you want to tell me anything?”

She slowly nodded. “I… Leo and I were brought together for a reason. I don’t know why yet, but until then… This just feels wrong. The three of us fighting, and I’m like a prize for the winner between you two. I don’t want a part in this until I find out why Leo and I were united. I… I don’t know if I should become involved in any kind of relationship right now.”