“The bet’s over,” I interrupted him and his eyes grew in surprise.

               “Really? Who won?”

               “Well…” I stretched the word out. “It’s sort of a tie.”

               “How could it ever be a tie? You can’t kiss him at the same time that Emma said that he loves him….” He trailed off and then averted his eyes to the ground when he saw my expression. “You were the girl he picked.”

               “Emma and I both were.”

               “And you love him.” His voice was blank, expressionless.

               “I guess I do.”

               “You don’t sound too sure.”

               “Because I’m not.”

               “Well, I kind of already knew that you were… I just didn’t want to believe it. He’s Noah and you’re Melody. There has probably been bet’s going on for years about whether you two were going to end up together or not. I’m just mad that I wasn’t here earlier. I hope you two have fun together—“

               “We’re not together.” Now I was the one who had to look away from him when I saw the vast disappointment on his face.

               His head shot up. “Wait, what? Why?”

               I bit my lip, thinking about that night. “Something happened…”

               He looked confused before the truth became known in his eyes. “It was more than just a kiss, wasn’t it?”

               “Well…”

               “Melody.”

               “What do you want me to say, Sam? That I fucked my best friend and that he ended up fucking me over with the whole bet thing? I was never supposed to be his girl. That just makes me feel used and like garbage. This whole bet idea was stupid, and I can’t believe that I got myself into this. I had everything going for me with Blake and when he broke up with me I should’ve just cried or some other shit instead of making out with the entire senior class. I mean, what kind of person does that?”

               He stared at me, but this time a brief intermission of emotion passed onto his face. He reached out to me, and I stepped away from his grasp. “Come on, you’re a great person—“

               “Is that why you’re mad at me? Why Emma is  probably kicking down garage cans right now? And why Noah isn’t even here? Or how about why he did this to me?” I breathed out in quick huffs and I looked up at him from under my lashes. “If I’m such a great person, why did I do this to you?”

               He ignored my question and grabbed my shoulders as if to shake some sense into me. “Everyone makes mistakes, Melody. You do, and so does Noah.

               “I know, but they aren’t usually as stupid as mine.”

               “So? Who cares that you made a mistake?”

               “Me.”

               He looked at me in frustration and finally withdrew a huge breath of air. “Fine. Bask in self-pity when you’re honestly being way too hard on yourself.”