05 - Visiting

I know I promised this either yesterday or today and it's only 10:44 where I live so I'm  good!

Now here's the meeting of the last (I think) two main characters in the story. Read on now! :)

____________________________

As we drove to the children’s hospital, I knew Noah was nervous. His hand was clasped onto the gearshift so hard that his knuckles were turning white. I sighed and grabbed his hand, gently unwinding his fingers, before holding my hand in his—something I did a lot when this happened. He gave me his usual thankful smile before turning his attention to the road again.

The drive was quiet but not awkward. Noah was probably deep in thought about how Holly would look—better or worse? Getting better and on the mend or another surgery?

When we finally reached the hospital after the hour drive it took us to get there, Noah turned off the car and drew out a shaky breath.

“Come on, Noah,” I gave him a reassuring smile and patted his hand. “Let’s go. I’m sure she’ll be super excited to see you.”

“You’re probably right…” he muttered.

“I am right,” I unclipped my seatbelt. “I usually am. Now let’s go.”

Hesitantly my best friend got out of the car and I wrapped my arm around his shoulders as we walked into the hospital. The woman at the front desk, Angie, grinned when she saw us.

“Holly is in her usual room, you two,” she smiled. “Have a good time! Remember that visiting hours end at four.”

I nodded for Noah and I before leading him to the elevator and to the third floor, which Holly’s room was. When we got to her door, Noah paused.

“Come on, Noah…”

“What if she looks horrible, Mel?” His eyes bore into mine, already filling up with the tears that always came before he visited her. I’ve seen him when his grandparents died, when his dog got ran over, and hell, even during the Notebook and he never cried during any of those. He only ever tears up when his sister is involved. “I don’t want to remember her like that when she’s…” He trailed off before he said the word dead.

“She is fine and will be when all of her treatment is over,” I shook his shoulders to get my point through. “I promise.”

“Okay…” he mumbled and wiped his eyes. I gave him an assuring smile and opened the door.

“Melody! Noah!” A young, high-pitched voice that was slightly hoarse called out as soon as we walked in.

Holly used to have brown hair like Noah’s but after all her treatments she was left with a bald head. Her skin was so pale from those that you could see her blue blood veins through her skin. She looked sick, of course, but she still held her usual smile and a cheerful glint in her eyes that never seemed to go away no matter how many surgeries she has had.

“Hey, Holly!” I smiled and sat down on one of the chairs near her bed while Noah took the one on the other side. Noah’s parents must’ve gone home after they found out that we were going to come here today. “How’s it going here?”

She shrugged, “I’m just doing the same old things. I have radiation therapy in a few hours.”

Noah winced but thankfully Holly didn’t notice.

“Well, you still have some time with us before that happens, don’t you?” I gave her an uplifting smile, which immediately made one go onto her own pale face.

“Definitely!” She looked over at her brother. “Now why haven’t you visited me a lot, mister? I’ve missed you!”

“I’m been busy.”