"I'll be back in a little more than an hour. You could run home and get changed if you'd like?" I quick kissed him again before he had to leave. Tom drove me home and I changed into a hoodie and jeans. As I slid on my cowgirl boots I looked at my phone and saw a text from him. 

I just got back. Do you want to pick up some Starbucks for us while we wait to hear the results?

The results? I didn't even want to think about that right now. What if he really did have cancer? Cancer is fatal... FATAL! Our dreams of growing old together could crash and burn right before our very eyes. My day dreams of our wedding, or him holding our first born, or him coaching our kids basketball teams... they all started running through my head. What if we never get to do that together? What if my time with him is cut short? 

I didn't know what to say, so I shortly texted him back:

Sure thing. I'll be there in twenty.

Tom and I picked up some Starbucks and hurried to Jake. I walked into his room handing him his drink, and sat on the bed next to him. He wrapped his free arm around me and pulled me in close.

"I can't even tell you how great it is to have you in my arms again." He said kissing the side of my head. I was overwhelmed by all the machines, IV's, and hospital smell. What if this was the last place I saw him?

For the next hour we talked with Tom about the show and how they had made the Varsity basketball team. Not that that was a surprise to any of us? They both had been starters since their freshman year. Now, Jake and three year player and Tom a two, they were ready to make it to state together for the second year in a row. 

The nurse walked in with a folder and stood next to Jake. "Hello Jake." She turned to us, "Can I speak with him alone, please?" I started to tense up. A lump began to form in my throat, and I could feel the tears coming. If she wanted to speak to him alone that couldn't mean good news. Tom wrapped his arm around me and walked me down to the break room. Together we sat on the couch and I broke into  tears. He pulled me into him and I sobbed into his shirt. He kept hugging me because he knew I needed someone right now. 

(Jake's POV)

"Okay Jake. There is no need to be alarmed, however we found a small amount of cancerous cells growing on the outer lining of your stomach. You're only a stage 1 cancer patient, and we believe that through a few surgery's and chemotherapy we can have you cancer free in six short weeks." 

She finally stopped and I didn't know how to take it. Why was it just NOW that I was feeling the stomach issues? Why did this have to happen now?

She could tell that I didn't have words. "Jake, would you like me to bring your friends back in." 

Jay. Oh no! What was I going to tell her? She worries too much already, how would she take this? 

"Um, can I have a few minutes to think. I don't know how I'm going to tell them..." She walked closer to me trying to comfort me.

"Let me guess, that's your best friend huh?" I nodded. "And that cute girl, she's yours huh?" I nodded again. "Well, we could bring them in here and I could break it to them, while I explain to you what needs to happen?" 

"I think that would be a good idea." I started to stress. I didn't want Jay to be hurt. And everyone knows she would get crazy stressed, and quit her job just to be with me.

"Alright, I'll go get them."

(Jay's POV)

Ten minutes later, Jake's nurse walked into the waiting room  and invited us back into his room. 

"He's ready to see you now." 

I wiped the tears from my face and turned to him. I could see the worry on his face and knew it wasn't good. He immediately reached his arms out to have me come sit on his lap. Tom stood by the bedside as we listened to what his nurse had to say. 

"So like I told Jake, he has stage 1 stomach cancer. Now, it's very curable and will only take a few weeks. We're hoping. And he'll only have two surgeries as well as a few chemo treatments." 

It was so much to take in. I curled into Jake and started crying uncontrollably. He wrapped his arms around me and said, "Jay what are you so worried about? She said I'd be fine in a little over a month."

His nurse quietly left the room to give us some space. "Why am I so worried? Jake what if something happens? What if they can't help you. What if you..." I began crying so hard it was difficult to get words out, "...you... don't make it? How am I supposed to go on? We're moving to Dallas together, and you're supposed to live your football dream. And we were going to raise a family together. And what if..." 

He cute me off, "What if I make it out alright? What if I'm totally okay by the end of the year? Trust me Jay, there's nothing you need to worry about. But I do need you to finish what you started." 

"How can I go back knowing you're here and could get worse?" I couldn't control my tears.

"Jay, I promise you, I will be okay." He wiped my tears away and then grabbed my chin softly pulling me into him. He softly kissed me, and it slowly grew more passionate. I couldn't tell if Tom was still in the room, so I quickly looked up to see if he was, and found he had left. Probably to make some calls. Jake sat up pulled me into him wrapping his hands around my waste, and I placed my hands around his neck with my thumbs on his cheeks. 

I let go and rested my fourhead on his. "Promise me you'll keep yourself safe."

"I promise." He wispered. "I'm not going anywhere."

Okay guys... SO SORRY that it took me so long to get this updated!!! And I promise, I won't kill Jake. Some crazy stuff might happen, but even I couldn't kill Jake! I'd cry with you guys if he died! Ha! But thanks so much for reading! It means a lot!!! :) (Next update should be sometime next week)