14 | Blurred Lines

Start from the beginning

Yuko's eyes widened slightly and he shook his head, "No, I-"

"What kind of person asks questions like that? For god's sake, of course I want you to kiss me again!" I practically yelled, before realising my mistake. Eyes widening, I covered my mouth in mortification.

"Oh my god. Fuck my life," I whispered, my voice muffled behind my hand.

"Why didn't you just say so?" Yuko asked, again with his questions. Only this time, he took a step closer and gently pulled the hand covering my mouth away.

"Because you...you stopped," I muttered. "I thought you didn't want-"

As if I flicked a switch, realisation dawned in his eyes again and he shut down completely.

He stopped mid-step, lips set into a thin line. Nodding, he murmured, "That's right. We shouldn't."

It was quite amazing how one person can lift you up so high for a moment and then let you crash and fall the next. The hurt must've reflected in my eyes, or perhaps he had already made the assumption, because he sighed under his breath.

"It's not that I don't like you Marissa," he said quietly. I refused to meet his eye. Instead, I shut him up before he could say anything more to crush my already teetering self-esteem.

"Save it, Yuko. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep," I said monotonously, and without another word, turned around and stalked back into my room.

Even though our interaction felt like it lasted an eternity, I was surprised to see that we only spoke for a little over half an hour. Laying in my bed, I stared at the ceiling blankly, wondering what made him stop.

Maybe it's because I'm not exactly a good person, I thought to myself. If I were him, I probably wouldn't like me, too.

It came as no surprise that I wasn't the heroine or the protagonist. I was just barely balancing between being sort-of decent and well, straight up evil. It was like I wasn't even good enough to be the main antagonist or villain. I was just...there. A dirty stain that doesn't quite match but kind of does, if you don't look closely enough.

I wrinkled my nose, yawning loudly. I felt the fatigue take over my body, and the earlier restlessness faded into a dull, persistent knocking against my head. My heavy eyelids drooped, and for once I welcomed the much needed sleep that distracted me from all the questions I couldn't find the answer to.

-

"Good morning," Logan greeted happily, plopping down onto the tatami mat where most of us say cross-legged in front of the wooden table. Laid across the tables were various assortments of traditional Japanese breakfast foods, and my stomach rumbled in excitement.

Asher grunted in response to Logan's overly cheery morning greeting, before closing his eyes and resting his head on Emily's shoulder. The right side of her lips tugged into a small, serene smile as she ate her breakfast in content silence.

"Rough night?" I asked, glancing at Emily for an answer. Emily shook her head and giggled, "Slept like a baby. He's just a grump in the morning."

"I can hear you, Emmy," Asher grumbled under his breath, eyes still closed. Emily blushed slightly, her smile turning into a full-fledged grin.