CHAPTER 1

A/N readers before you read any further I just want to say this is my very first book. It's the first book I've written for public reading and I want to thank whoever you are for even paying attention to this book.

The only problem  with this book I think you may encounter is the fact that I am Jamaican  and even though we do speak English as our first language I am more comfortable  speaking the vernacular  and there may be some problem with my grammer.

Other than that I hope I don't bore you to death. ENJOY!!!

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

************

"No Akayla! you're  doing it wrong," My grandaunt  slapped my hand away with her soft wrinkled hands "You have to go in the other direction."
I was obedient and followed her instructions even though I didn't understand the need for her specifics since I was just grinding some herbs.
"See now, doesn't that feel better already?" She asked. Her face stretched into a smile but her green eyes that were always too bright for her ages dimmed to show an emotion that seemed to be guilt.
I offered her a reassuring  smile. She was not happy about the fact that she could not afford  to fond my tuition  any longer to further my studies and that now I would have to help out in her tea shop to help pay for my student loans. I have lived with my grandaunt all my life since both my parents  died when I was just a baby. She raised me herself in a small village  called Peadvalley  where everybody knew Ms.  Harp (my grandaunt) as a hot headed old woman who always seemed to find herself in a quarrel with someone from the grocery  store and the market or anyone who didn't seem to show her complete and utter respect.
Often times persons were deceived by her welcoming  smile and her angelic soft voice but she was definitely  a wolf in sheep's clothing and it was genetic.
"Your not happy here. You should go to school. Be with your friends and meet someone nice. I mean who wants to spend their young years in a work shop with an old woman making tea." She laughed dryly at herself. She raised the back of her manicured fingers to caress  my face her sad green eyes mirrored  mine.
"Trust me your doing me a favour. I enjoy being here with you even though nobody really drinks tea anymore."I muttered the last part.
"I still wish you could go," she rested her wrinkled hand on my shoulders and smiled softly "even though, if you left I don't know whose awful singing would wake me up in the mornings." We both laughed at that.
"You know you love it when I sing, aunt."
"No, I really don't. I'm going into town now and I'll be back late so don't wait up for me ok. I'll probably return the next day if it gets too late."She grabbed her bag and straightened her floral blue dress. She didn't wait for my response and left the workshop. Soft jingling of bells signaling she left the store. I left out a sigh and continued working.

2 hours later

Drowning myself in complete silence  I tried to lull  myself to sleep in the old rocking chair by the window as I watched tiny drops of water connect the earth to the sky. Even as the old wood screamed under my weight and the occasional  boom of thunder outside the window the presence  of empty news in this workshop seemed to out-voice all sounds sending apprehensive  chills down my spine.
I wasn't quite sure what I was  afraid of, I've been left alone overnight before, I wasn't even afraid of thunderstorms but I couldn't shake the feeling that something  was out there lurking in the dark just waiting to strike. Most girls would  curl up in their  beds under the covers  hoping the feeling would go away but I've already tried that and it was not cutting it for  me. I also tried eating the feeling away but that just made my stomach more upset. The only comfort  I seemed to achieve  was being  curled up in  my grandaunt rocking chair sipping  on  some camomile  tea wrapped in an oversized woolen sweater that my  mother used to wear before she died.
   I never  knew my mother or my father I was told by aunt Nora that they drowned at sea on their honeymoon which was a few months after they had me. I wish I'd known them my aunt only ever had nice things to say about them. She said they had a powerful  aura around them that seemed to capture everybody's  attention, that people had a strong respect for them. I wished I could  have known such people. The way my grandaunt  talked about them made them seem that they would have been such great parents and even though I don't know them I feel proud to be called their daughter.
Thinking it best to retire to bed before aunt Nora got back I folded the edge of the leaf in my book as a bookmark and headed towards the door. The old wooden door creaked loudly leading me into the ajoined store. The store was a bit more modern than the rest of the building. The wooden shelves on the wall stores various  sets of matching China. There was counter that stretched across the entire  length of the store with stools for customers to sit and drink tea and fill me on the very little gossip of this very small town. There were only two tables at the each end of the store for privacy. Aunt Nora kept her dried herbs under the counter hence why the store always smelt like peppermint  and lemon grass.
A gush of wind blew  into the store I folded my shivering arms in my chest.
That old woman left the door open again.
I marched over to the door quickly  pushing the door shut but an expensive looking dress shoes stopped the door from closing. Looking up I see a man his golden eyes so sharp they felt like they were piercing into my own.
"May I help you?" I asked trying to get a glimpse of his face but it covered with long black wet hair.
"I'm sorry to have bothered you miss but it seems my car has run out of fuel."I my breath hitched at his thick European accent. One that I just couldn't place, Swedish perhaps.
"Well there is a gas station  just down the road from here." I pointed behind him. He looked over his shoulder for a second then looked at me.
"It's raining dear."he stared at me with his scrutinizing  eyes.
I tilted my head and narrowed my eyes at him. There was just something about him that scream suspicion  and I have  read to many books to fall for this trick.
"The no gas, trick really? At least it's better than I'm lost I need  a phone call. I'll give you that." I folded my arms in front of me.
"I'm sorry you must have got the wrong idea. I am really stuck here in the rain,"I tilted my head and raised an eyebrow "Your are not very trusting are you? Well then I'll be on my way would mind pointing me in the direction of a motel."
I was surprised at this and even embarrassed  a little for accusing this man I don't really know.
I opened the door a little wider to get a good look at him. His long wet hair covered half of his face his glove covered hand was stuffed in pocket of his expensive looking and soaking wet black coat. His expectant hazel eyes (well eye) stared at me he had a perfectly straight nose and trembling pail pink lips which he bit occasionally to stop his teeth from chattering. Now I felt like an awful person letting him stay in the rain, aunt Nora would not like this at all.
"You know what just come inside you'd probably catch pneumonia by the time you reach the motel walking in this rain." I gestured with a hand for him to come inside. With an all too happy smile he stepped into the store and took a stool at the counter.
"Thank you very much with that much rain I'm sure I would have drowned with 30 seconds in." He chuckled to himself slightly.
"So um would you like some tea to warm you up you look a bit chilly." I offered.
"Yes thank you love I'd really appreciate  it, camomile if it's no trouble." He slipped off his gloves and wet coat since now in the heated room.
"No its nothing. It's the least I could do for having you standing in the rain for so long." I hurried around the counter and started to prepare the tea.
We drank tea and talked for a few hours longer than I actually expected. I let out an unexpexted yawn and I was also surprised how comfortable and relaxed I was around him.
"You look a bit tired love maybe you should retire to bed." Frank smiled at me.
"I dont want leave you by yourself." I stood and took the empty tea cups and walked to the counter.
"Its ok the rain is not as bad now I can return to car for the night its no big deal." he folded his coat neatly over his arm.
"Well, I could walk you to your car?" I suggested
"That would be lovely." he smiled
I turned of my heel and grabbed the umbrella from behind the counter and he opened and held the door for me. I stepped outside into the rainy weather and shuddered when cold air hit my skin and condensed air appeared infront of me from the my warm breath and I  rubbed my shoulder.
"My car just a small walk from here." he took the umbrella since he was taller. The street was quite quiet and dark. There was never much activity in th streets of Peadvalley in the night especially when it rained but some thing about tonight sent a chilling thrill up my spine so I quickened my pace frank speeding up to match my pace. Soon I saw a black Audi parked across the road.
"This is me."Frank said crossing the road me following closely behind. He walked up to the car taking out his keys he pressed the unlock button and opened the driver door he turned to look at me.
"I hope you will come by the shop tomorow again for tea I'd like to see you again." I suggested and laughed nervously.

"Oh I asure you princess you'll see a lot more of me." he replied with sly smile and I furrowed my brows in confusion then he held up his hand I saw the siringe and my scream hitched in my throat and I stumbled back from the shock. I turned to run but I could already feel the sting of the needle and the last thing I saw was a smiling frank before I fell backwards into darkness.

He held up his hand to my face slowly opening his palm lowing in to it a cloud of purple smoke covered my vision and before I had time to react I  was lulled into complete darkness.