Layers

I spit out the water that was thrown in my face I opened my eyes to see Vega standing over me. "He's alive you guys. He's awake!"

"Finally." Katie said." I was so worried."

The sun light was unbearable so I closed my eyes again but it didn't help much my head was pounding. "Anyone get a pair of sunglasses?" I asked as I covered my eyes with my hands.

"Dan has a pair... Thomas you want to run to the waterfall and get them? They should be in his suitcase next to some dried up flowers." Vega said.

"Yeah I'll be back." Thomas said.

"How are you feeling?"

"You know I never wondered about how getting burned would feel like... Where's Shay?" I asked as I started to get up and both of the girls pushed me back down.

"We don't know. He ditched a few days ago."

"Huh? How long have I been out?"

"A few days."

"We thought you had died." Katie added.

"I wouldn't leave you girls behind with a crazy redhead and three unstable boys."

"Like I haven't heard that line before." Vega mumbled.

"Does it still hurt Hunter?"

"Yes Katie it does..." I'll never forget what my face smelt like days ago. It still smells like bacon that has gone bad. I hope it fades soon. "I want to go home."

"I wish we could get you to a hospital." Vega said.

"Me? How about you? You're pregnant there has to be some kind of check up crap you gotta go through."

"Hunter why are you worrying about the baby when you have to worry about getting better?"

If I'm worrying about someone else then my mind is off of the pain that runs deep within my veins. It was unbearable but when I thought of something else it wasn't so bad. "I'm sorry about my brother." Dan said as he sat next to me in the sand. "You're mad I can tell."

"I'm gonna kill him." I told him.

"And you should. But you can't without hurting the balance we talked about this."

"That was before he burned half of my face off."

"Hunter you get angry then I can no longer help you."

"Then don't."

Both of the girls looked at me confusion filled their eyes as they stole glances at each other.

"Hunter who are you talking too?" Katie asked.

"No one of import." I said as I stood up. "I would like to be alone so don't follow me."

"Where are you going?"

"For a walk."

"But."

"No Katie sometimes you just have to take a step back and let people deal with their problems their own ways." Vega said.

Thomas stopped in front of me and I grabbed the sunglasses he held in his right hand. He breathed heavily but he wasn't winded. I felt like he was a runner back home. He looked liked a runner. I put the glasses on wishing they were darker. Maybe I'll go to my rock home and sleep it's dark there. The arm of the glasses made my face sting but I didn't feel much of it.

"Where is he going?" Thomas asked.

"We don't know.. He wants to be alone." Vega told him.

"Why aren't we stopping him?"