It was in the hallway that she first heard it, almost an imperceptible slapping sound or something like the faint sound of dishwater in motion and hitting the sides of a sink.

Beverly froze and asked, "Ensign, where is the water from here?"

"It's right below us. That whole level just under us is full of water. You can probably hear it sloshing around down there, but we don't have time stop and listen for that now. We'll see it coming up here soon enough. I hope the girl believes you, doc; she sure didn't believe me when I tried to tell her this boat was going down. If that room she's in isn't airtight, she'll be convinced by the water itself before long."

"When will we be there, Ensign? Where is she from here?"

"We're almost there. It's near the end of this hall, and the only room we've found on the whole boat with a metal door. I guess she chose it thinking she could keep us out. We don't have a clue what's in there with her either, which is a bit of a concern. Does she get violent? There could be weapons in there for all we know," the Ensign asked as they arrived at the door.

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I only saw her for an evaluation and don't really have much experience with her," Beverly said as she looked at the totally out of place metal door. What on earth could this be for, she thought.

"I can say she has quite an attitude, but she deserves to have one considering what she's been through. To be safe, you'll have to assume she could be violent under the right circumstances, as we all could I guess. A big issue is whether she feels she's here against her will and would welcome help. If she is here voluntarily and has bought into all of this, then we could have a problem."

The faint sound of water was getting more prominent, "Good luck, doc. We're running out of time here."

The more Beverly looked at it, the more the door reminded her of an old style bank vault. Not only was it metal, but it had metal reinforcing plates, approximately four inches wide, crossing the door horizontally in two places roughly dividing it into thirds. The hardware was industrial in appearance, and the door was set in a metal frame with such close tolerance that a pry bar couldn't be placed between the two.

Why in the world would a door like this be here? Beverly thought again as the Ensign knocked on it to get Dana's attention.

"Dana, its Ensign Adams. The water's rising. You've got to come out now. We don't have much longer."

"Go away and leave me the hell alone! Hey... how do you know my name, anyway?"

"Your doctor told me."

"How would you know my doctor? You don't even know me."

"Doctor Anderson told me your name, Dana."

"Doctor Anderson? Where is she?"

"Right here, Dana. I'm right here."

"What in the world are YOU doing here?" Dana asked in total disbelief.

"I've been trying to keep an eye on you ever since Barbie brought you to this boat, Dana. I've been worried about your safety."

"How would you even know I was here? This boat is a secret!"

"I followed you and Barbie here from the buns with a friend of mine. They killed my friend after that, Dana. They're bad people. Please come out so we can help you."

"But WHY are you here?"

"I was very concerned about your welfare and got involved when it looked like your mother was going to run with you. We couldn't let you out of our sight. If we did, there would be no way to protect you. I know you're sixteen and feel you can take care of yourself, but it's still too early for you to have to do that."