Chapter 20

To say Logan and Scott didn’t like each other would be the understatement of the century. They despised each other, both obsessed over the love they shared for the same girl. Ever since Kaya arrived though, Logan could sense his affection towards Jean slowly fading away. That didn’t mean Scott and him got along any better.

“Logan.” Scott stormed in, waking Logan from his nap. “I need you to do something.”

He, reluctantly, opened his eyes and sat up, the covers brushing away from him and revealing a bare chest, to which Cyclops looked away. “And I need you to get out of my room, can’t have everything can we bub?” he replied groggily, squinting his eyes at the light shining into his room.

Scott rolled his eyes. “I need you to fill in for me for a class. The professor wants me to go out and dig up some information.” He continued on, as though Logan had never said anything.

He did his best not to groan. “Do I look like a substitute teacher? Why can’t storm teach it herself?” All he wanted to do today was sleep, not teach a class. He wasn’t even going to be paid for it, which only made the ordeal worse.

“It’s a combat class Logan.” Cyclops stated, as though the answer was obvious. “It requires two teachers.” He crossed his arms, and Logan could tell he was becoming annoyed. Good.

However, he knew he had no choice in the matter. Chances were that if Scott was asking him, the Professor told him too. “Alright, fine.” He gave in, feeling defeated. “I’ll do it, but you owe me bub.”

Scott nodded and headed towards the door, but before he left he turned to face Logan. “Oh and Logan,” he added, “don’t call me bub.” With that he turned his back and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

Logan smirked, glad that he was able to get under Scott’s skin, before he dragged his feet to the bathroom and took a shower. Letting the hot water run down his body, washing the nightmares from the previous night away.  The dreams were always there, always the same, and so he didn’t know why they always bothered him. Perhaps it was because they held some sort of truth, that the answers were there in his head, but too far for him to touch.

He finished getting dressed, pulling the white tank top over his head, and took in a deep breath. Teaching wasn’t at all something that Logan liked to do, but he would do it for the Professor, he owed him. The Professor was helping him with his memories; the least he could do was teach classes when he needed him to.

The class he was filling in for was team defense, something Logan was never really good at. He was used to working alone, and even the term made him uncomfortable. Working with others…it just wasn’t his thing, though he supposed that was just another thing he would have to get used to. Figures.

“Where’s Scott?” Storm asked when Logan entered the basement of the mansion, seeing the students already lined up and ready.

He sighed, trying not to roll his eyes. “The Professor has him out running an errand and asked me to fill in.” he answered.

Storm nodded, seeming satisfied with the answer, as she led the class into the room. From the corner of his eye Logan noticed Kaya, and a small smile found its way to his face. She noticed him and returned the smile, not seeming surprised at all to see him.

“So this is your day job, filling in for other professors?” she joked when she managed to walk over to him.

Logan let out a small laugh. “Something like that.” He replied, still smiling.  The rest of the period, much to his satisfaction, went by smoothly. He couldn’t help but keep glancing at Kaya. She was, surprisingly, a very good fighter and he wondered where she learned, then remembering she used to be a student here years ago.  

He still felt sorry for her, how she had to be cooped up in the mansion. It couldn’t have been any fun, and she could only take so many classes before she grew bored. Perhaps she could leave the grounds if she had someone with her, but he didn’t know if the Professor would go for that. It wouldn’t hurt to ask, would it?

“Kaya.” He called out when everyone was filing out of the room. “Got a sec?”

“I have all the time in the world, in case you haven’t noticed.” She replied sarcastically with a half-smile. “There’s not much to do when you’re stuck in the same place.”

“It can’t be any fun.” He sympathized, looking over at her. What he wouldn’t do to see her actually smile. “What do you say to getting out for a day?”

Kaya stopped in her tracks and looked up at him, her expression filled with a mixture of hope and confusion. “But I thought I had to stay here so Magneto couldn’t get me?” she whispered, as though she was afraid someone was going to overhear.

“I’m sure if someone went with you the Professor may let you.” He replied, though doubts played in the back of his mind and he hoped he could make this happen. “Just let me talk to him and see.”

Kaya wrapped her arms around Logan, “Thank you.” She told him, the feeling of her breathing against him brought Logan a sense of comfort, as he returned her hug.

He only hoped he could keep her this happy.