9 - Ice Cream Baby!

Clarey

I angrily shoved all my textbooks inside my locker. I was seriously pissed at Evan for ditching me that Friday night. I slammed my locker shut as hard as I could, but as soon as I was about to walk away, I suddenly remembered the gift card I bought for Andrea, my co-worker at the restaurant I was working at.

"Ah, crud." I muttered.

I went back, but for some sheer dumb luck, I struggled to get my locker open, thanks to the stupid locker combination. I've been using the same locker combination since Freshman year of high school. Why am I struggling now? My temper rose and I banged the locker with my hand.

"I hate you." I groaned, pressing my forehead on the cold metal locker. It made my head a little cooler. Deep down, it was clear as day where my frustration started.

"Here, let me help you with that." Evan appeared next to me with a playful grin on his face. What a coincidence. I'm a damsel in distress and he just came out of nowhere as a hero. He gently pushed me to the side. I gave my locker combination, and I don't know what he did, but the jerk somehow managed to open it.

"Thanks." I said dryly, rolling my eyes at him. He thought he could win me over by doing good deeds? Well, sorry, pal, no brownie points for you today.

I grabbed the gift card, closed my locker and started to walk away fast.

"Hey, babe, how're you doin' today?" He kept following me through the school hallway. This boy was seriously like a little lost puppy.

"Did you get my message?"

"Yeah, about that... I'm really, really sorry," I stopped to face him with my arms crossed. Any word that comes out of his mouth is probably a lie. "CJ, come on, I'm serious. I'm really sorry!"

I snickered, shaking my head. "You're lucky," I whispered. "You are so lucky that you're still alive."

"Well, you see what happened was—"

"No, no, no. Let me talk," I said quickly, cutting him off. "After you ditched me that night, I swore to myself—"

His eyebrows knitted together in a disapproving frown. "CJ, I was there that night. Lance just talked me out of it, I swear. Please, I'm not lying."

I started walking away from him, completely disgruntled.

I let out an exasperated breath. "Excuses, excuses. You're just tryin' to make a fool out of me, Evan. Well, guess what? It's not happening!"

He grabbed my arm to stop me. "Why don't you just listen to me for once?"

"Well, I did, didn't I?" I shook his arm away. There was a lot to unpack here, that's for sure. "I gave you a chance. I stuck around and found out."

"Please believe me," he pleaded. "Ditching you wasn't my intention."

"Evan, I know you pretty well," I said, crossing my arms. This time as full-on goblin mode. "You're just trying to make a sucker out of me. For all I know, you probably just want to get into my pants."

He gave me a disgusted look. "What the hell are you talking about? You know that's not true, CJ, I would never—"

"Typical jock," I started wobbling my head side to side, and tried my best to mimic a guy's voice. "Oh, look at me! I'm the most popular guy in school, I'm a football player, and everyone loves me."

"Are you finished?" He asked.

"No, Evan, I'm just getting started," I pursed my lips as I moved closer to him, gazing into his gorgeous green eyes. "You think you could just have anything you want with just a snap of your finger? You may be rich and handsome, but let me tell you this," I paused. "You're not going to get me. Capisce?"