I put my laptop away and get out my cellphone. I play some games and put it away, thinking. Tomorrow is my detention with Asher. For some reason I want to look good for it. But I shouldn’t look too good cause then he will make fun of me.

Desired look: Relaxed, but cool.

I pick out some white torn jeans, black converse and a black loose top that hangs over my shoulder. I decide to use mostly natural makeup. 

I hope it’ll be okay.

*

“Asher Corbett.”

“Present.” Asher grins at me and pats the seat next to him.

 I rush in and sit next to him, Ms Rosario doesn’t even notice I’m late. 

“Olivia Day.”

“Present.”

“Florence Esmond.”

“Present.” I say shakily.

“Thomas Wagner.”

“Present.”

“Jamie Zhang.”

“Present.”

That was the last name. Ms Rosario put away her checking list.

“Alright, everyone. Now, you Asher, and you, Florence, are going to write verbs, and you Jamie are...” 

I’m a Barbie girl, In a Barbie wo-o-rld! Life in plastic, it’s fantastic! You can brush my hair, Undress my everywhe-e-ere! Imagination, life is you creation...

Who’s cellphone could that be? Jamie’s? Olivia’s? Certainly not mine.

Suddenly the room collapses in gales of laughter. Ms Rosario is getting her BlackBerry out and answering it! So the ‘Barbie Girl’ ringtone was Ms Rosario’s! I break into silent laughter as Ms Rosario answers her phone.

“Hello!” She says, sounding moody, and not realizing that the earphones aren’t plugged in, so we can hear her conversation.

“Holly, hon. Is that you?”

“Dennis!” Ms Rosario cries. “How could you call me! I’m teaching!”

“But baby,” Dennis sounds confused and I grab Asher’s hand to stop myself from falling over, laughing. “How can you be teaching? It’s six o’clock, have you forgotten our date?”

“Our... our, what? That was next week!” Ms Rosario is less angry and more confused.