Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

“The floral one looks okay.” Leslie gives her approval with a nod.

“Good.” I say, relieved.

“What’s Katia gonna wear? If she hasn’t got anything, she could use your peach colored one.”

“I dunno. I’ll Facetime with her.”

I open my laptop which lies on my bed and open Facetime. “Let’s see... Katia Freeman... there!” I call her and in after about eight rings the screen says, “Connecting...”

“Hi Katia!” I say.

The screen does not appear but I hear her voice. “Hi.”

Now the video screen has come and I see her face.

“Just wanted to ask if you have something to wear for Les’ party.” I say. 

“It’s alright, Flo, I’ll just borrow something of... My sister’s.” She says, glancing at Leslie.

“You have a sister?” Leslie appears interested. “How old is she? What’s her name?”

“Um...” I can see sweat forming on Katia’s forehead. “Her name is Mads. Short for Madeline. And she’s twenty-two, so now she’s here just to... visit.”

“Cool.” Leslie appears satisfied, to my relief. 

“Uh... I should go, guys.” Katia tells us. “I hear Mads coming upstairs. Bye.”

And the video chat is disconnected.

“Well, that’s taken care of.” Leslie confirms. “Now, we just need to make sure you know everyone.”

“And how are we going to do that?” I ask, skeptically.

“Facebook.”

“I hadn’t thought about that.”

“Now you have.” Leslie takes my laptop, opens Facebook. “Now, here is Natasha Hardy. She is on the girls gymnastics team, and...”

I think she starts to notice that I am not listening when my eyes glaze over. I started randomly thinking what would be on TV right now. Dora the Explorer, I think...

“Flo! Wake up!” Leslie’s hot pink polished nails snap twice in front of my face and I blink. “Who was I just talking about?”

“Dora The Explorer?” I ask hopefully.

“No.” She says as if she had been expecting it. “Were you even listening?”

“Yeah...” I lie.