Chapter 8: Sisters of Circumstance

Start from the beginning

"Magic," Red stated, remembering how Artemian's enchanted arrows had been the only ones capable of piercing Beast's hide.

"Yes. The warlock created more shapeshifters and before long there were so many of them that a population of them could be supported. He used them as guardians for his castle until one day he died. Father told me that he was assassinated but he also said that it was possible that his shapeshifters had turned on him. With his hold broken, the shapeshifters fled into the countryside. They soon became a problem and nations rose up against them, sending out huge hunting parties that slaughtered nearly all of them. Obviously some survived but their numbers were few. My father was one the last ones."

Red and Cindy exchanged glances, both of them reflecting on the tale. The latter asked, "Did you ever see your father's...Beast?"

Belle shook her head. "No. Father told me that he had grown silent for some time and didn't know if was even still alive. I remember some nights, however, when I would spot my father sneaking out of the house at night. When I asked him about it he told me he was only checking on the livestock, ensuring that there were no wolves patrolling about, but I suspect he used those nights to let his Beast roam free for a little while."

"So you don't know if his Beast was male or female?"

"No, I don't. It doesn't matter because Father told me that night when he recounted the tale of our origin that it was best to leave it a secret and find a man to wed, despite the comfort the Beast could bring. I tried, which is why I had previous dealings with Artemian but I don't need to tell you how those worked out."

Red furrowed her brows in concentration. "So after Beast was discovered you went on the run and that was when you fell in love with him?"

Belle nodded. "I know how it sounds. It's like I fell in love with myself and in a way I suppose you could say I did but Beast is an entirely different being. He has his own thoughts, his own likes, his own urges, and we are as different as you and I. We just share a single body."

"If there was a way, would you want him as a separate person?"

Belle took a few moments to reply as she gave the question some thought. "I do."

Cindy was staring into the lantern's flame when she said, "That's why you came with us."

"What?"

"You want to see if Empress Rhiannon knows of a way to split your two souls into two bodies."

Belle hugged herself, her eyes on the flickering lantern flame. "Yes..."

Red felt a slight pinprick of anger shoot through her body. "So you were just using us to get to the Noyr Empire?"

Belle lifted her gaze and shook her head. "No, of course not! I do want to help you rescue Selvina. I truly do! I only thought that since we were heading in the same direction I wished to initially go that I would tag along. Please do not doubt my loyalty to you. I am not using anyone for anything. I've lived with Beast my whole life. I would only go to Rhiannon with my request after we had rescued Selvina and completed her quest, the one you told me about."

"Do you think she'd help you?"

Belle smiled and nodded. "I do. It is a well-known fact that she can transform into a dragon and her situation may be similar to mine."

Cindy, her eyes still on the flame, asked, "If she hasn't separated from her dragon self what makes you think she can separate you from Beast?"

"I don't know. I only hope that she can offer me some information on how to do so, if she can't do it herself. As an Empress, she can't exactly go off on grand quests for years at a time in search of a way to be rid of her dragon self."