I didn't want her to hurt Mrs. Winters, but she looked so determined. "When I take you home today, I will stay to meet whoever you live with. Maybe I'm wrong- some kids are just finicky- but I have to see for myself. My kids have never had that kind of fear in their eyes when they come home late from a friend's house." I nodded quickly, just to appease her.

"Have a good day at school, sweet girl. Keep my little boy out of trouble. Lord knows I've tried." I smiled at the beautiful lady and jumped out of the car after nodding. I hoped she couldn't see me shaking. I had to believe Momma would be nice to her like every time guests come over. I don't know what I'd do if Mrs. Winters got hurt because of me. I'd gladly take anything Momma would do to me over that.

I stepped into class and took my seat next to Noah. He stared at me, a sad frown marring his adorable face. He knows me so well that even when I do my best to hide the nerves I feel, he seems to feel them just as much. "It's alright, Edith. You don't need to be scared of anything. Momma always knows how to make things better."

The day went by quickly and my time at Noah's house with his funny brothers went by even faster. After doing that bowed head thing again while holding hands, we dug into our pizza. The pizza was delicious. Whenever my mom would bring it for the twins, I'd always wish for a piece, but I was too scared to take one. Noah's momma let me have as many as I wanted! I ate two whole slices and got to have apple juice, too!

We watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with our pizza because Isaiah said it fit the theme. I'd never seen it before, but I knew it was Noah's favorite so I sat glued to the television trying to take it all in. Momma didn't let me watch TV so I felt a little guilty, but couldn't seem to take my eyes off of it.

When it was time to go, tears filled my eyes instantly. Noah somehow knew and grabbed me in a hug that took my breath away. "I know, Edith! I don't want you to leave either! Hey, Mom! How about I go with you to drop Eden off?"

I knew better than to ever let Noah near my momma. I stood next to Mrs. Winters and gripped her hand, silently begging her to not let Noah come. I looked into her eyes, trying to hold in the tears that were pleading to drop. Noah's mom nodded like she understood perfectly.

"Noah, you need to stay here with Ezekiel. I bet he'd love to play Legos with you." Ezekiel's head whipped to his mother, but with one look from her, he nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah, kid, let's go play!" Ezekiel looked at me with a warm smile and said, "Bye, Eden, hope to see you soon."

Noah jumped at me, grabbing my shoulders and holding me close in a hug. Normally, that would be enough to make me tremble with fear, but with Noah, I wasn't scared. "Bye, Edith. I'll see you tomorrow." I nodded but wasn't so sure Momma would allow me to go to school tomorrow.

I jumped in the black truck after saying goodbye to everyone and tried my hardest not to cry. I knew I was visibly shaking. I couldn't help it. Momma might be very sweet to Mrs. Winters but when she left, I'd be hit worse than ever. I was sure of it.

We walked into my ugly house hand in hand. I was a lot shorter and smaller than Mrs. Winters but she allowed me to lead her into what I was sure was my own personal hell.

What we saw when we arrived in the living room had me bow my head in shame. The twins were quite literally sumo wrestling over the remote, their fat bodies jiggled every time they lunged at each other. Momma was chugging the amber liquid she loves so much like her life depended on it. When she looked our way, I was almost positive her eyes bulged out of her head.

"Eden! What a surprise! Who's this, sweetheart?" I could hear the edge in her voice, and almost cried when I saw her eyes and hand twitch. The twins jumped away and sneered when they saw me.

Momma tried to hide the bottle in the couch cushions and stood up, only swaying a little bit. I grabbed Mrs. Winters hand and tried to stand in front of her and be as tall and strong as I could.

"Mrs. Morrison, my name is Angela Winters. I have a son named Noah who is just infatuated with your wonderful daughter. I came to meet you because I feel like I should know the woman who raised such a fantastic little girl. I'd like to ask your permission for your daughter to come to my house every day after school to keep my son company. I am a mother of four crazy boys and I fear my youngest son is a little too rambunctious for my other children. I will bring your daughter home at the same time every day and feed her dinner if that is alright with you." Momma's fake smile had gotten bigger and bigger throughout Mrs. Winter's speech. I knew my momma wasn't happy because she didn't want me to have friends and it would take away from my chores.

My momma's overly sweet, guest voice brought tears to my eyes for what seemed like the hundredth time. "Of course! I always thought my little Eden would never make friends. I mean, look at her! So small and she never makes any noise. I'm so glad she found someone to be with! She was getting a little bothersome here, you know. Always under my feet and all. That way I don't have to have her at home when I'm not there! You can be like her nanny." I gulped because I could see Momma's quivering hands. I imagined her jumping at me and grabbing my neck with them.

"Great! What time would you like her home? This is great for my Noah because he gets so lonely when my other son's push him out of their rooms. Thank you, Mrs. Morrison, this will make my son so happy."

"Six-thirty will be fine I guess. Are you sure you don't just want to keep her?" Momma laughed at her own joke for a good minute. "Just kidding, silly question, right? Are you aware I can feed my own child? I don't need you to be a charity for her." Uh oh. She was getting testy.

"Oh no! That is not what I'm trying to do. My family just eats an early dinner and I was trying to imply that she might be there to eat with us!"

"Ok, well fine. If you're sure you want that little brat in your house for that long, go ahead," she smiled and then pulled me towards her with a bruising grip on my wrist, whispering in my ear. "Just remember, Eden, you have chores here that you cannot slack on. And if I find out you're whoring around, little girl..." She left it at that and let me draw my own conclusions. "Understand me, young lady?" I nodded eagerly turning to Mrs. Winters with a huge smile, returning my hand to hers. She smiled back, before saying the one thing that sealed my fate for the night.

"I just felt the need to ask, seeing as my boys just like having her around the house to play with. She really is the sweetest thing!"

My hand holding hers tightened painfully. I started to shake again. I didn't blame Mrs. Winters. She didn't know that my momma didn't want me to have friends. Normal kids had friends, right? My mommy now knew for a fact that I went over to the Winters' household to play. I suppose she already knew I had a friend based on the fact said friend's mother was standing in my living room, but those simple words made the idea all the more concrete.

Mrs. Winters left after the twins introduced themselves and my mom turned back to the television. I walked Mrs. Winters to her car. I could tell that Mrs. Winters was sad based on her frown. "Baby girl, I will see you soon, okay? Why are you shivering, honey? You can tell me if you're scared, alright? Please be safe."

I was confused about why Mrs. Winters and her family were being so nice to me. I came to the conclusion that they just didn't know me well enough. Momma said I was bad and I couldn't understand why I was being treated like I was good. I knew that soon enough, the Winters would turn on me too, just like every person I had ever known.

They didn't know I ran my father off and took him from my mom and the twins.

Tears finally fell from my eyes as Mrs. Winters drove off after she kissed my head. I sat on the porch silently hoping Momma would just forget I was here and leave me outside. I knew she was angry and I deserved what she gave me, but I didn't want to see her disappointed face.

After an hour and a half, I had worked up a pile of grass pulled from the front yard. I was hoping Momma would see I was trying to groom the front yard and decide to love me again. The door opened quickly and Momma came out whipping me from the ground and dragging me inside.

Momma didn't seem to mind hitting my face while screaming at me for everything I had ever done.

If you liked this chapter, let me know by voting and commenting!