When Push Comes to Shove

"Why do you keep staring at the new girl?"

Camila blinked out of her little trance and turned back to look at one of her desk mates, Dinah, who gave her a questioning look. "Huh? M'not."

Dinah's lips curled in delight at the red blush that covered the six year olds cheeks. "Oooh, Walz has a crush!" she sang, but then quieted down when she saw their teacher Ms. Jacobs give her a look from across the room. She lowered her voice but continued to sing teasingly to the still blushing girl. "Mila has a crush, Mila has a crush."

"Dinah, that's not nice," Ally chastised from across from her and next to Camila with a stern look. "It's perfectly natural for her to crush on girls and boys for the first time. She is getting to that age. After all, not everybody are like my Manibear and me." She cooed the last part of her sentence towards the dark skinned girl sitting across from her, next to Dinah. "Are they, my love?"

Normani beamed back at her and scrunched her face, leaning forwards as the two shared Eskimo kisses by rubbing their noses together. "No they're not my Allycat."

Dinah gave them a funny look, an eyebrow raised at the short girl. "Yeah yeah, Manibear, Allycat, hush up, we talkin' about Mila right now."

Camila's nose scrunched at her three friends, frowning. "Why are you guys talking like I'm not here?"

Dinah turned back to the brunette, "Listen Walz, you've been staring at that Lauren girl since her first day on Tuesday. You should talk to her."

Camila's face flushed at the realization that she was caught and she frowned, "How? What am I 'upposed to say?"

Dinah tapped her chin in thought, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration. Her eyes lit up a moment later and she grinned. "You should push her or pull her hair at recess. Then she'll know you like her. That's what my cousin told me. And he's in the fifth grade." she said smugly as her friends 'oohed' at how old and mature he must be. So he had to be right. "That's how he got a girlfriend."

It was then decided; at recess, Camila would go up to Lauren and push her.

...

Lauren sat on the edge of the sandbox with her feet planted in the sand a little while later during recess. On her lap sat a coloring book that she was diligently coloring in, with her tongue stuck out in the corner of her mouth and her eyebrows furrowed in concentration. One minute, she was happily coloring in the tiger printed on the page and then the next, her face was buried in the sand.

She coughed several times as she pushed herself out of the grainy mess, trying to get the taste of sand out of her mouth and her eyes. When her green irises cleared up she looked up to snap at her attacker and was met with a grinning Camila Cabello standing above her.

Lauren's eyes narrowed into slits at the smiling girl, her jaw clenching in anger. "What was that for?!?" She snapped, shuffling to her feet and shoving the girl into the sand, not giving her a chance to answer.

Camila's eyes widened as she fell back into the sand, stuttering as she attempted to explain herself and stand back up at the same time. Yet as she straightened herself and made a move towards the older girl, she tripped in the sand and fell on top of Lauren, who in turn tripped over the edge of the sandbox and sent the both of them tumbling down onto the grass.

She took her trip as retaliation for being shoved and she growled at the girl on top of her, rolling them both over until she was on top of the smaller girl. The two rolled around in the grass hitting, biting each other and occasionally pulling the others hair until Ally and Normani, hand in hand, ran and got Miss Jacobs, who separated the two girls and called their parents.

...

Fifteen minutes later, the two girls sat side by side, one a crying, sniffling and hiccuping mess while the other scowled and crossed her arms, her face a deep red.

Lauren's jean capris and black t-shirt, with every DC superhero imaginable, (Camila thinks she's seen that shirt in the boy's section) are both blotted and stained with dirt and grass stains. Her right cheek had dirt smeared across it, and her once pretty ponytail hung limply on her shoulder.

Camila's own white and blue polka dot dress wasn't looking as pristine as it had when she left for school that morning, either. Her hair was an unkempt mess in her French braids and some kind of dirt smeared across one cheek, matching Lauren's. Her bow, that had been previously sitting proudly on the top of her head was now limping to the right. Tears streamed down her dirty cheeks and every now and then she would sniffle and reach up to wipe at her nose with her hand.

Their respective mothers sat by each of their sides as the principal attempted to get to the bottom of the 'fight'.

"So, Lauren, why did you hit Camila?"

The little girls green eyes widened and set into a hard glare as she sat up straighter. "'Cause she shoved me into the sandbox for no reason! I didn't do anything!"

The kind principal turned to the still crying Camila, as she attempted to dry her face with her tiny hands. "Camila, would you like to explain why you pushed Lauren?"

Camila let out a loud whine as more tears appeared, trying in vain to speak through her sobs, "I-I didn't mean to! *hiccup* D-Dinah told me her c-c-cousin, *hiccup* said that when you l-l-like someone, *sob* you push them!" she wailed, sniffling and hiccuping all over again.

Clara and Sinu shared amused looks at the confession, both relieved it was just a simple misunderstanding and that the fight wasn't at all serious.

Lauren's face softened for a moment and her face scrunched in an adorable show of confusion. "You like me?" she mumbled, her eyebrows furrowed.

Camila sniffled and let out another hiccuping sob. "Uh huh. I'm sorry that I, *sniffle* pushed you."

Lauren's face became stoic, showing no emotion as she reached out and shoved Camila's shoulder hard, causing the little girl to squeak and fall off her chair and onto the ground. The three adults eyes widened and quickly scrambled to see if the child was okay.

Sinu immediately helped her daughter stand up just as a new batch of tears appeared and she began crying once again, hiding her face in her mothers dress.

A childish grin broke out onto Lauren's face and she let out a giggle. "That means I like you too, dummy."

Camila slowly pulled her face away from the comfort of her mother and she reached up and wiped the tears underneath her eyes. "What? You do?"

Lauren giggled and nodded as Camila let out a squeal of excitement and practically threw herself at the older girl, hugging her tightly as the adults chuckled. "Yaaaay! That means we're girlfriends now! Jus' like Mani and Ally!"

Lauren let out another laugh, hugging the girl back and observed, "That's great! But maybe you should go to the nurse, I think you really hurt yourself."

That grabbed the young girl's mothers attention and her eyes widened, pulling her daughter away from the hug and gasping loudly at the stream of blood dripping down the little girls nose. "Oh Dios mío! Mija, your nose is bleeding!"

Camila merely grinned at Lauren, oblivious to her injury and her mother's panicking.

Lauren smiled back, not hearing her mothers her mothers scolding for making Camila's nose bleed.