Mistaken

three times Lauren & Camila were mistaken for a couple and one time they weren't

1.

"You two make such a beautiful couple! How long have you been together?"

Camila and Lauren tear their eyes away from the brightly colored menu listing the endless amounts of ice cream flavors and combinations to look at the elderly woman ahead of them in line.

She's beaming at them, her eyes shining with adoration at the young couple, thinking back to when it was her and her husband, just starting out in life. "You remind me of myself and my husband— years ago, obviously," she laughs politely.

Camila blinks, obviously confused, before she smiles politely, letting out a laugh as Lauren grins at the older woman.

"Oh, we're not—"

"We aren't together," Camila interjects, giving the perplexed woman a kind smile.

"We're just friends." Lauren finishes, smiling at her.

The woman pauses for a moment, taking in the way Lauren's arm is draped around Camila's shoulder, how their fingers are interlocked at her shoulder, how Camila's arm is wrapped around Lauren's waist and how Lauren's thumb is subconsciously stroking Camila's hand without a thought. She takes in the way they keep stealing glances at each other's lips and the affectionate smiles they give each other.

Blinking once, she smiles apologetically. "My mistake. Well— you two have a great day, then." She turns around, chuckling quietly to herself. She thinks they'll figure out their feelings soon enough.

Lauren laughs as the woman orders her ice cream, sends them a smile and goes on her way, looking at Camila in her arms. "I can't believe she thought we were a couple."

"I know," Camila snorts, unconsciously nuzzling her head in the crook of her neck as she looks back at the menu. "We're so not into each other that way,"

"Not at all," Lauren mumbles, kissing the top of her head affectionately as they step up to order.

2.

"Right there is great, thanks."

The two delivery men grunt in response, moving further into the apartment and gently setting the new couch down where Camila points out.

Lauren yawns as she exits her bedroom, stretching her arms above her head and sending the two delivery men a polite, tired smile as she walks past them to the kitchen, brushing affectionately against Camila despite the fact that there was more than enough room to avoid doing so, returning the affectionate smile she gives her.

Stepping back, the taller of the two wipes his hands on his pants and grabs his tablet off the plastic wrapping on the couch, turning to Camila. "We just need a signature from either you or your wife and we're good to go," he smiles politely, holding out the tablet and stylus.

Camila pauses as she takes them, blinking as the words process, and she laughs. "Oh, she's not my wife. We're just friends."

The delivery man pauses, glancing over at Lauren in the kitchen and taking in her attire — Camila's oversized college sweatshirt and practically nothing else. He watches as she makes her way back over to them and leans against Camila as she takes a sip of her coffee, and exchanges a look with his colleague as he takes the tablet and stylus back.

"Right— sorry to assume." He gives them a polite smile and bids them a good day as they leave.

Camila chuckles, wrapping her arm around Lauren's waist as the door shuts behind them. "That's the second time this week. Weird, huh?"

Lauren just shrugs, yawning again. "People are just delusional, I guess."

3.

Camila leans back against Lauren's chest, one hand holding open her book and the other unconsciously stroking the hand around her waist that in turn is subconsciously stroking her stomach. She rests her head in the crook of Lauren's neck as she pulls the book closer to herself, humming in appreciation when Lauren's other hand starts scratching at the base of her neck, her eyes drooping shut at the gesture.

They're sitting in the park at the trunk of their favorite tree— Camila sitting in between her legs and Lauren with her back against the tree. They had just finished eating lunch and Lauren was fighting hard not to fall asleep right there with Camila in her arms — which wasn't hard to do when a softball came flying at her head, jolting her awake and startling Camila.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry!"

They look up as a teenage girl comes running over. "My brother threw that way too hard— I hope it didn't hurt you?"

Lauren blinks then laughs, picking up the ball and throwing it at the eleven year old boy that joins his sister. "No, no, I'm fine, don't worry. It just kind of scared me."

The girl sighs in relief and gives them an apologetic smile. "Good. Again, I'm so sorry— we didn't mean to interrupt your date."

Camila blinks, then smiles and laughs. "Oh, we're not on a date. Just two friends enjoying a picnic."

The girl pauses, stares at them for a moment, obviously confused. "Oh. I see." She glances at her brother, who doesn't seem to be buying it either. "Well, anyways, sorry, again."

Lauren smiles at her and nods. "No problem. You guys have fun. And be careful."

"What's up with everyone thinking we're a couple?" Camila asks, turning her head to look at Lauren, her lips brushing against her jaw unconsciously.

Lauren just shrugs, nuzzling her face into her neck and giving it a light kiss. "Who knows? People are weird."

4.

"How about this one?"

"I don't know— do you like it? It doesn't look... special enough."

"How special are you trying to go for?" Camila rolls her eyes, squeezing Lauren's hand as she pulls her to another glass case, her eyes surveying all the shimmering diamonds underneath.

"Just special enough." Lauren grins as the sales associate approaches them with a polite, friendly, customer service smile.

"Can I help you two find anything?"

"Yeah— we're interested in looking at your engagement rings." Lauren smiles at her, interlocking her fingers with Camila as she subtly tugs her closer.

The sales associates smile widens just a bit. "Oh how nice! Of course, they're right over here." She leads them to the glass case in the back, glancing at them and giving Camila a genuine smile. "You're so sweet for helping your friend pick out an engagement ring for her fiancé."

Camila pauses, glances at Lauren, then laughs as her arm wraps around her waist. "Thanks— but I'm actually her girlfriend—"

"Fiancé," Lauren interjects, smiling happily and pulling her further into her body. "I wanted her to pick her dream ring, so here we are."

The sales associate pauses, blinking in surprise. "Oh— of course. My apologies." She smiles at them apologetically. "Why don't you two take a look at what's in this case while I get you some water? Still or sparkling?" She scurries off after getting their answer, cheeks red.

Camila laughs, leaning into Lauren as she studies the rings in the case. "I can't believe she thought I was just helping you as a friend,"

Lauren chuckles, absentmindedly stroking the small sliver of skin peeking out from beneath her shirt. "I know. How could anyone think we were just friends?"