Chapter 4: The Very Blood In My Veins

"Why'd you do this, Winter? D you have to make every thing difficult, or did you miss me so much you just had to do something stupid? She doesn't belong to you, or the Lights." Thayer muttered with disgust.

Thayer! I thought, and tried to open my eyes to no avail.

"She doesn't belong to you or the Darks, either Thayer. She needs protection, whether from Dark, or outsiders, or both, I have no idea yet. I'm worried for her safety, and as happy as I am too see you, I feel the conversation we are about to have is going to complicate things." Winter muttered, flippantly.

Thayer sighed, and I, finally, opened my eyes.

Thayer leaned over me.

"Spencer? How do you feel?" He asked, propping my head up.

"Like I was knocked out by a seven year old." I said, sitting up.

Thayer laughed darkly, looking at Winter.

"You just had to use Gabe, didn't you? You had to blur the boundaries more." He accused her, his hands shaking.

Winter shrugged her shoulders.

"We needed her blood. We couldn't just let her leave if she's in danger. She's important to us, and her blood could be the one things that evens the scales."

"Shut up, Winter. Just stop. I can't do this with you right now. You know how I feel about all of this crap. Did you even talk to her about what she wanted? Did you ask her for a blood sample, or did you just take it? Did you explain to her why it was so important for you to know all of this?" Thayerthundered, enraged.

"No. It was not neccesary." Winter stated, simply.

Thayer grabbed my arm and pulled me off the table.

"Come on, Spence, lets get out of here." He said, helping me stand.

"What! Wait! You can't just take her and leave!" Winter sputtered, grabbing my other arm.

Thayer put his hand on hers and slowly pried me from her grip. Looking his sister right in the eyes, he grinned.

"Watch me." He yelled as he turned and walked out, dragging me behind him.

I silently follow Thayer to his car, sliding into the front seat when he opens the door for me. Thayer gets in, and wordlessly starts the car, and drives off. I remain silent for a few more seconds, then I can finally formulate words.

“Thayer...” I start, only to be interrupted.

He turns to look at me, true pain blazing in his blue eyes.

“I’m so sorry Spence. I did my best to keep you from all of this as long as I could. I should have stayed with you, I shouldn’t have given you up that easily. I never wanted you to go through any of this, especially not alone.” He whispers, taking my hand.

I gently pull my hand out of his.

“How long did you know?” I ask, my anger rising.

Thayer looks me over, tightening his grip on the steering wheel.

“Spence.” He utters, sadly.

“How long did you know who I was?”

He turns away, looking anywhere but at me.

“I knew you were like me the minute I saw you. You radiated Light.”

“You know thats not the question I was asking.” I say, wiping tears from the corners of my eyes.

“At the beach, when I kissed you...I felt it in you. I wasn’t sure what it was at first, but then I realized. I realized what you meant to all of us.” He mumbles, pulling into my driveway.