Prologue

Prologue

I kick a stone, turning my Ipod up a couple notches. Where was he? He said he'd be here at eleven! I think to myself as I twirl in circles. Come on, Thayer, it's getting dark! I close my eyes, breathing in the fresh air. I begin to relax, and start humming. Hearing a branch crack, I turn, my eyes scanning the field. No one. Turning back, I almost scream, dropping my Ipod.

"Hey, Spence." Thayer says, a smile illuminating his gorgeous face.

"Thayer! Don't you ever do that to me again!" I yell, punching him.

Thayer laughs, pushing his long blonde hair out of his face.

"Did you bring it?" I ask, excitement over ruling my need to be stoic around him.

He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a velvet drawstring bag. I grab for it, and he pulls back, a coy smile playing at his lips.

"Spencer, darling. You can't just expect me to give this too you, can you?" He winks, holding the bag behind his back.

"How's the family?"

"Good." I mutter, trying to seem uninterested.

"Brielle's well?" He asks, bemused.

"Yes."

"And Ariana?" He asks, and when I don't answer he continues.

"How about my favorite set of triplets? Hows Lola?" Again, I refused to answer, knowing exactly what he's getting at.

"What about Kylar? Hows he?" He snickers, trying to ge too me.

"Ky is fine. My whole family is. You know that better than I do." 

"Well, I still had to ask. Just trying to be pleasant, Spence, which is something you should try for once." He says, pulling the bag from behind his back.

Opening it up, he carefully empties the bag into his hand. I lean forward, trying to get a look at the object.

"Come here, Spence." He says, his voice muffled.

Slowly I walk toward him, fear holding me back. When I get close enough to see, he opens his hand.

It was an amber amber stone, about the size of a half dollar, with the ironwork of a tree on the front.  The vibrations it was emitting were so strong, I could feel them. I reach forward, my hand almost on the stone. 

"Careful!" Thayer yells, moving his hand back. I step back, but I still long to touch it.

Thayer carefully puts the stone in my hand, and I realize it's on a cord.

"I added the leather cord so you could wear it like a necklace. I thought it made more sense than a ring." He says, holding up his hand, showing me his onyx ring.

"Thanks, Thay. Help me put it on?" I ask, and he nods, taking the necklace from me as I hold my long brown hair up. I can feel his breath tickling the back of my neck as he's putting the necklace on, and I involuntarily shudder.

Thayer grabs my shoulder, turning me so I face him.

"You know what this means, right? The prophecy has now begun." He says, turning to go.

I grab his wrist.

"Thayer, wait. You don't have to go!" I say, as he shrugs away my grip.

"Yes I do, Spencer. We chose different sides. I'm not allowed to see you anymore. It's the rule." He says, his gray eyes brooding. 

"Goodbye Spencer." He says begrudgingly, disappearing into the dark.