Chapter 21: Neverending Fight

Ozpin looked out the window of his tower office at the city below. The door opened behind him and a group of four entered and stood across from his desk. The headmaster didn't turn around as he spoke, his hands clasped behind his back. "Any news to report?"

When the group stayed silent he turned to them, his expression sorrowful. "Nothing at all?"

One of the members stepped forward and handed him a cloth covered object. She looked up at him with sad eyes and she shook her head. "I'm sorry Ozpin.." The girl turned and left, her team following her. The door shut behind them and Ozpin sank back into his chair. "Eight days..and nothing.."

He turned to Ms. Goodwitch. "Its time to call off the search."

The woman looked at him in concern. "Are you certain?"

Ozpin unwrapped the object and looked at it with tired eyes. He placed the boys helmet on his desk and stood.

"Yes. Gather the students. Its time we mourn the loss of a Hunter."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

  The students all stood in the amphitheater with saddened expressions, teams RWBY and JNPR at the front of the crowd closest to the stage. The room was silent as they sat, each student knowing what they were here for. They all wore their school uniforms for the ceremony and a sad mood hung in the air like a thick fog. Yang felt as if her world had come crashing down around her, looking at her feet as she sat. Her friends were all taking it hard, especially Jaune, who was still recovering. His leg had healed for the most part but he needed a crutch in order to walk. His left arm hung in a sling having being damaged from Nix's saving throw.

  Ozpin took the stage after a few moments and spoke into the microphone, his voice firm but sorrowful. Bags were visible under his eyes as he stood in front of the students, the whole ordeal taking its toll on the man. "Greetings all. I have a feeling everyone knows why they are here tonight, but I shall take a moment to bear the news again for those who do not know."

  A large picture of Nix's face appeared on the screen above him. "Tonight, we mourn the loss of a fellow student. Nix Spherule fell in the line of duty while fighting a Grimm threat in Forever Fall." He paused a moment to let it sink in before continuing. "Nix was a brave student, one who truly understood what it meant to be a Hunter. He made the ultimate sacrifice in order to keep our city safe, as well as protect all of Remnant from the threat of darkness. May we never forget the sacrifice he made and honor his memory by continuing the fight he so deeply believed in."

  The headmaster ended his speech and the screen behind him powered off. "You are all dismissed for lights out, and I leave you to cope in whatever way necessary. Thank you." One by one students filed out of the amphitheater, their voices soft and reverent as the talked to one another. Teams RWBY and JNPR remained seated as the Headmaster walked up to them. He looked at the grieving Yang compassionately. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Ms. Long. He was a good man, and a good Hunter. He will be dearly missed." He handed her Nix battered helmet which she took slowly. Tears fell onto the metal faceplate as she looked down at it, not saying a word. Ozpin could only leave the girl to her grief, unable to truly do anything more. He simply nodded at the others lightly and walked away, his cane tapping lightly against the floor as he walked.

  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Ozpin stood looking out at the city once again, his hand lightly resting in his chin as he stood. He had not slept well, and he had a feeling not many others had either. He took a sip from his coffee as the door behind him opened. "You wanted to see us sir?" A female voice asked. The Headmaster turned with a small smile. "Ah, team RWBY, team JNPR. Please, come in."

  The students stood at attention on the other side of his desk, or at least tried their best to. Fatigue was clear to see on all of them, the young hunters still mourning the loss of their close friend. Ozpin understood how they felt, but as much as he wanted to offer them comfort they still had a job to do. Loosing a Hunter in the field is tragic, but is part of the job nevertheless. He took a seat and sighed a bit. "I know how you all are feeling right now, but I'm afraid that I have one more thing to ask of you."

  The students said nothing.

  "What can you tell me about the Grimm you faced?"

  Ruby looked up with a heavy gaze and filled him in on everything that happened. The Headmaster stayed silent as she spoke, nodding here and there. When she finished he leaded back in his chair thoughtfully. "I see..and this Grimm Walker, was it the only one you saw?"

  "Only one, Headmaster?"

  Ozpin stood and clicked a button on his desk, a large holographic screen projecting itself in the air. Various pictures and news clippings were being shown, each depicting some sort of attack or blurry Grimm figure. Ruby felt a knot start to form in her gut as she looked at the screen.

  "I have heard of this "Grimm Walker" legend before." Ozpin said from behind the screen. "But based on your story and the many others I have found it is obvious that this legend is more than just a story."

  Yang looked at him in confusion. "What other stories?"

  Ozpin paused to take a sip from his mug. "That Grimm Walker you faced, its not the only one out there."

  Yang's jaw dropped in shock, a wave of emotions crashing down on her. Flashes of the battle flew through her mind, the Grimm Walkers destructive power and horrible screaming tearing through her thoughts. Ruby spoke up first. "You mean..there's more of them?"

  "Yes Ms. Rose, I'm afraid there are." He cycled through the various reports. "Many similar incidences have been reported or recorded throughout the years, but no solid evidence has ever presented itself. Until now, that is." He shut the projector down and looked at the students. "These Grimm Walkers pose a real threat not just to Vale, but to all of Remnant." He pushed up his glasses. "I am asking you for the sake of all of humanity to find out as much as you can about these Grimm Walkers, and hunt them down."

  Both teams looked at each other in shock, not believing what they were hearing. "You can't be serious?" Weiss exclaimed. "We barely made it out the first time, and now you want us to hunt more of them? There's no way we can do that on our own."

  The headmaster sighed. "I know what I am asking is no easy thing, but if these creatures are as dangerous as you say they are they must be destroyed." He looked at them with soft eyes. "If you won't do it for me, do it for Nix. Continue the fight that he so strongly wanted to finish. I know he would want you to."

  The group fell silent again, all of the exchanging glances. After a long pause Yang looked up at him, her face set. "Ill do it."

  The others looked at her in surprise before Ruby stepped up. "Ill do it too."

  "So will I." Jaune said as he stepped forward.

  Nora move up next. "Same here."

  Weiss took a deep breath before stepping up with the rest, her face serious. "Count me in."

  The others all stepped in line beside them, determined to fight by their side. The headmaster looked at them with pride and he leaned forward on his desk.

  "Alright then, lets get to work."

-----------------------------------------

End Of Part One.

[A/N: Hey everyone! Thank you so much for reading Grimm Walker. I had a blast writing it so far and hope you all enjoyed the ride. Part two is already in progress but I will be posting it at a later date, so enjoy the suspense! In the mean time I'll be posting a few other things here and there so you don't get left hanging (much). Thanks again everyone and I'll see you in the next part!]

-Nick