Chapter 13: Training Days

Nix's groaned as his Scroll vibrated, the loud buzzing disturbing his sleep. He reached over lazily and picked up.

"Hello?" He said in a groggy voice.

"Mornin lazy bones!" Ruby's cheerful tone loud in his ear. "Can you come to the courtyard ASAP? Its important."

He looked at the clock. "Can it wait until later? Its early."

"Just get here OK? Everyone's waiting." She hung up with a click. Nix groaned again as he got out of bed, his body sore from last nights brawl. A large bruise had formed on his back above his right shoulder with another on his cheekbone. He hopped in the shower and let the warm water soothe his aches and loosen his joints. He changed quickly into his usual outfit and headed out the door, wondering what this could all be about.

-----------------------------------------------

Both team RWBY and team JNPR were waiting for him when he arrived, the group standing around one of the red trees in the courtyard. Yang spotted him and smiled softly and his mood immediately picked up. The group seemed happy to see him and greeted him warmly, especially Jaune, who clapped him hard on the back with a big grin. Nix winced a little as Jaune hit his bruise, but quickly shook it off and gave him a friendly punch on the arm, happy to be among friends again. They finished their greetings and Ruby cleared her throat.

"Alright, lets get down to it." Her tone turned serious. "I told everyone what you told me yesterday, and we decided to help you with your training."

Nix raised an eyebrow. "You would do that?"

Jaune gave him a thumbs up. "Of course we would. You may have let go of the past, but you should still work toward your goal. Were with you all the way."

Nix looked at his friends smiling faces with his heart warmed. "Thank you everyone, you don't know how much that means to me." Ruby beamed and put her hands on her hips. "Great! We got it all figured out. Nora and Yang will handle power hits, Ren will cover guns, Blake can help with speed and agility, and Pyrrha will cover battle strategy with Jaune." She pointed to herself. "Ill oversee things."

"What about Weiss, she not joining us?"

Ruby scratched her head awkwardly. "Well...sort of."

"I'll just watch, thank you." Weiss said from the back of the group. Nix hadn't noticed her until now, the girl having been quiet until this point. She leaned against the tree with her arms folded. "I think you have plenty of help without me, and that's just fine by me."

Nix felt a pang of disappointment at Weiss's absence, but smiled nevertheless. He turned to the group. "Alright then, lets get started." The group smiled and Nora wrapped him in a big hug, the boy struggling to keep his balance.

"Yay, best buds again! This is gona be sooo much fun!"

-------------------------------------------------

First came power hits with Nora and Yang. They stood on an open field on the side of campus so they would have plenty of room. Ruby stood off to the side to oversee things, Weiss standing next to her with folded arms. Nix and Nora stood across from each other, the sun shining down through the clear sky. Yang stood in between the two giving instructions.

"OK Nix, here's the plan. In order to add power to your attacks, you need to throw all your weight into it as you swing to get a solid follow through. In order to do that, you need to act like you're going through your enemy, not at them." She gestured to Nora, who was bouncing up and down slightly in excitement. "Charge at Nora at full speed then swing. A running start should help gain momentum. Nora, try and stop him."