Chapter 4: First Encounter

Nix jogged through the forest, enjoying the feeling of exploration. It took only about 20 minutes of searching before reached a clearing that led to a steep drop off. He approached the edge cautiously, not wanting to loose his balance. He looked over the side to see a large ruin at the bottom of the drop off. It appeared to be a large tower that connected to a now crumbling main building, with a oddly placed table in the center of the ruin.

"Well, that was easy." He said out loud as he slid down the steep hill. He reached the bottom and approached the table which to his distane was bare. He looked around the ruin slowly, turning in place as he surveyed the area, certain this was the right spot. But after searching high and low, he was unable to find anything that could resemble a relic. He uttered a grunt of annoyance and turned to leave, but as he did something caught his eye. An object lay partially concealed by the overgrowth, almost impossible to see in the brush. Nix bent over and picked it up. He held the cracked chess piece in the light, turning it in his hands. It was a black Rook, missing a chunk of the tower at its top, and a crack ran down the middle of it. Curious, he decided to keep it, putting the piece in a small compartment on his belt. Satisfied with his find, he began to make his way back up the slope to the clearing. When he reached the top however, he suddenly went very still, his senses on high alert. He could see the forest around him move, bushes shaking here and there.  He dropped low, his knees bent in preparation. Then, a pack of creatures emerged from out of the forest, the group slowly beginning to surround the boy. They walked on two legs, resembling the form of a wolf like animal. It had white spikes patruding from parts of its body, standing out from its solid black fur. Its face was covered with white bone, with red eyes glowing from under the naturally formed mask. Nix HUD outlined each creature with a slight red hue, a warning appearing at the bottom of his screen.

"Grimm type, Beowolf. Enemy count, 4. Known attacks; claws and bites."

Nix observed as the creatures came closer, slowly and calculated, snarling intimidatingly.

"Well, so much for easy."

                                     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruby watched as the Grimm closed in on the boy. He stood in a low stance as they stalked forward, the Grimm watching him closely. Her stomach tightened again as she remembered his lack of weapons. How was he going to get out of this one? Him surviving the crash was already a miracle, but without any way to defend himself he wouldn't stand a chance against a Grimm, let alone four. Again the room fell silent as they waited for the impending attack, all curious as to how the boy would handle this situation. Just then, the air around the boys hands began to glow a golden color, and suddenly he was no longer unarmed. A short sword and large circle shield seemed to materialize out of nowhere, the weapons appearing in a flash of golden light. Ruby had never seen anything like that before, and from the sounds coming from the students around her neither had anyone else. The boy readied himself for attack, the Grimm now only a few strides away. If he was going to fight, now was the time. Ruby waited with baited breath, anticipating the coming battle.

                                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nix stood ready as the Grimm came ever closer, their blood red eyes locked on him, sizing him up.  "Alright, lets do this." His hands began to glow a golden hue, and small shapes began to materilize round them, multiplying until they took there true shape. In an instant, a large shield had formed in his left hand, a short sword in the other. The blade was about a foot and a half long, with a small cross guard and handle just long enough for two hands. The hilt ended with a small metal ball to balance the weapon, allowing it to be used with ease. He glared at the creatures before him and banged his blade against the shield with a loud clang.