Chapter 16: The Real Deal

Nix roared as he thrust his sword hard into the girls chest and knocked her to the ground. Her Aura shot to the red zone and the fight was over.

  "End match, victor is Nix Spherule."

  Nix took off his helmet with a pop-hiss and helped the other student to her feet. The fight had been long and exhausting, with the girl getting sloppy near the end and giving Nix the opening he needed to gain victory. He smiled as she rose to her feet, a cocky grin on her face.

  "Nice fight," he started, "you're quick on your feet."

  The girl gave him a sly smirk. "You're not so bad yourself, but you got lucky."

  Ms. Goodwitch cut in. "That will be all for today students, you are dismissed."

  Nix gave the girl a two fingered salute and the students gathered their things. The girl smirked at him again before returning back to her friends, her blue hair swishing as she walked away with her head held high. Nix sighed finally being able to rest but was suddenly tackled from behind, strong arms wrapping themselves around his shoulders.

  "Way to go Hardhat!" Yang said with a laugh. The boy smiled while trying to regain his footing. "Hey, take it easy! It hurts to breath right now." Yang snickered and put her head on his shoulder. "Aww," she cooed, "does poor baby need to be carried?" She wrapped her arms around his waist and lifted him up amid his protests. "I can walk on my own thank you!" She put him down and he placed a kiss on her cheek. "But I appreciate the concern."

  He put and arm around her shoulder as the rest of their friends walked over. Ruby beamed up at him giddy as ever. "That was totally awesome!" She exclaimed giving the sore teen a hug. She always enjoyed watching him fight, cheering him on from her seat. Jaune gave him a fist bump as he approached. "Man, you are on a roll this week. That's like your fifth win in a row." Nix grinned. It had been a few weeks since his battle with Cardin, and many others had risen to challenge him. After besting his opponents he had quickly climbed the class chart, his rank now hitting the top ten. All the training he had done with his friends the past month had really made a difference, and it was starting to show. They had stopped training a while ago but his skills on the battlefield were growing all the same.

  Weiss walked up with her arms folded. "I see your sword skill has improved, good to know my lessons haven't gone to waste." She smirked at him with slight amusement, her jest being a kindhearted one. "Well you tend to learn after being frozen ten to twelve times." Nix countered with a chuckle. Weiss rolled her eyes but continued to smile. The two had grown close during their time together, and Weiss found herself developing small feelings for him. Everyone knew that he and Yang were together, but that didn't bother her to much as she only saw him as a close friend.

  "Welp, I'm ready for some down time after that last one, girl really gave me a run for the money." Nix said with a stretch. The group voiced their agreements and left for the dorms, classes now done for the day. Jaune walked beside Nix and Yang, Nix's arm still around her shoulder as they walked. "Hey, I just got the latest issue of X-ray and Mav, you got to read it."

  Nix's face lit up in excitement. "You did?! I've been dying to get that one!

  "Don't goof off to much tonight, we have assignment selection tomorrow, remember?" Pyrrha's voice cut in. Jaune groaned. "Oh, right. Because those went super well the last time."

  Yang laughed a bit. "Yeah, last semester was kind of a train wreck!" The group all groaned at the girls pun, her and Nix the only ones laughing. Nix seemed to be the only one in the group that never tired of her jokes, which was another thing Yang loved about him.