FOURTEEN The Slug Club

My classes were getting easier and easier. I was picking up on spells a lot faster now. If I continued at the pace I was going, I'd quite possibly be competing with Ambleforth for top of my classes.

All the teachers noticed this. It was while Professor Slughorn was congratulating me on my latest successful potion that he decided to drop me an invitation.

"I'm throwing a dinner party tonight for the Slug Club. Are you able to make it?" he asked.

"Sure Professor," I replied, forcing a smile. "Just let me know when you have some free time. I'd like to go over that promised potions study."

"Of course, of course," he said, nodding. He told me which classroom it was being held in and how to get there, then went off to talk to another student.

"Let me know how that goes," Veronica said from beside me.

"And don't feel like you have to stay if you hate it," Will added. "You still have us teaching you."

"I know," I said. "But I'll take all the help I can get."

When class was over, we all headed out of the dungeons and up towards the our next class. When I reached the top of the stairs, Professor Plumble was there, waiting off to the side.

"Miss Castilian," he said, spotting me. "May I have a word, please?"

"Of course," I said, wondering what this was about. For a second I worried that he'd found out about me helping Albus get out of detention, and an uncomfortable feeling developed in my stomach. I stepped aside so that I wasn't in the way of other passing students, and waited for him to speak.

"I have something I'd like to discuss with you. Are you free this evening?"

I grimaced. "Actually, tonight isn't good. I have a prior engagement," I admitted.

"Ah," his face fell. "That's too bad. It's just that I leave on a business trip tomorrow, and I'm not sure when I'll be back. I uncovered some information about your family history that I find to be quite interesting, and I was hoping you'd know more about it."

I frowned, suddenly curious. "What kind of history?" I asked. He ran a hand through his hair.

"This isn't the place to discuss it. If you can find a moment to come see me, I'd appreciate it. You'll need my password. It's flitterwing, but don't repeat that to anyone."

"Where exactly am I supposed to go?" I questioned. He passed me a slip of paper.

"Memorize the route. It will vanish soon," he said, as I unfolded it and found a map leading from the Ravenclaw common room to the Headmaster's office."

"I can't promise anything," I said quickly. "But I'll try and come. Thank you Professor Plumble."

He nodded to me, but before he could walk off there was a strangled scream from the stairwell leading down to the dungeons. Wide eyed, the Professor and I took off down the stairs towards the commotion.

At the bottom of the stairwell Professor Slughorn was restraining a student, who flailed around screaming. She had gastly burns to her arms, legs and face. Another student with dark skin and black curls upon her head sobbed, backed up against the wall.

"I... I couldn't stop her!" she whispered. "The potion... it burned her, and she threw it at herself!"

"Come along," Professor Plumble said, moving the sobbing girl away. He turned to Professor Slughorn and added, "Take her to Madam Pomfrey. I'll organize for St Mungos to come collect her... she's unstable, in the same way Professor Sprout was."