SEVEN A 'Potty' Encounter

That night, at 8PM, Veronica, Bridget and I made our way down to Professor Windellow's office. Eleanor was already there, and by the looks of things, she was desperately trying to talk her way out of detention.

"Miss Ambleforth, for the last time, I don't care who started it. You girls were saying awful things to each other, and it's not acceptable in this school!" Professor Windellow said from the doorway.

Eleanor gritted her teeth in annoyance. As we approached, the Professor nodded to us.

"Evening ladies. It seems my third year has gone missing on us, so I'll have to go fetch him myself... as usual. But I'll set you up first. For being on time, I might even let you go early."

The Professor led us downstairs, and out of the castle. We were heading for the owlery.

"Tonight, for your detention, you will be scrubbing the floor. The owlery needs a decent clean up."

"Like... scrubbing poop?" Eleanor asked, dumbfounded.

"Ew," Bridget whined. "Castilian, this is all your fault!"

I was about to protest when the Professor silenced us. "If you girls keep insulting each other, I'm going to keep deducting points. I'm taking ten from Ravenclaw just for that comment, Miss Searle."

Veronica and I shot her a glare, and she bit her lip.

We reached the owlery, and I tried to ignore the chill in the night air. Trudging up the stairs, I could already smell the rank of it.

Waiting for us were five scrubbing brushes.

"We're doing this by hand?" Eleanor asked. She turned to the Professor angrily. "We come here to learn magic for a reason!"

"And you get detention for a reason, Miss Ambleforth," Professor Windellow replied, giving her a firm look. "I'll be back soon. If you use magic, I'll be able to tell, so I suggest you don't."

He turned and left, leaving us standing in the doorway to the filthy owlery. I bent down to grab and brush, as did Veronica, but Bridget and Eleanor simply stood in disgust.

"I'm not touching that," Bridget said. I had to admit, it wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't the end of the world either.

"Bridget, just pick up a brush!" I said, getting annoyed with her. I was already scrubbing. Looking over to Veronica, she'd gotten right into it. I raised my eyebrows, and she shrugged.

"I live on a farm practically. I'm used to cleaning up after animals," she told me.

"Well, I live in a manor," Eleanor said snootily, turning up her nose. "And I'm used to having house elves who do this for me."

"Well you don't have house elves right now Eleanor!" I replied. "So stop being a princess and get to it!"

"The longer you stand there, the longer we're going to be out here in the freezing cold. If we all work together, this will get done a lot faster," Veronica insisted. This seemed to persuade Bridget, who finally picked up a brush and slowly lowered herself on the icky floor. The owls, which hooted around us, mostly ignored us.

Eleanor folded her arms.

"Bridget was right. This really is all your fault, Castilian," Eleanor said darkly. "If you hadn't come here, we wouldn't have had that fight—"

"Eleanor!" Bridget snapped angrily. "I just want to go back inside and shower, and I can't do that until you and Alyssa sort out your crap! So just hurry up and sort it out!"