EIGHTEEN Lost Memories

My parents were overwhelmed with emotion when I walked out of Kings Cross Station and into their arms. They hugged me tightly, and I knew they'd missed me.

"You're alive!" mum gasped, holding me at arm's length. "Come on. There's pudding waiting at home... and your Grandmother keeps wondering why you've spent so long at your friend's house," she winked, hinting on a secret. I, however, was lost.

"What?" I asked, as we walked out towards the car.

"Well," dad began. "We couldn't tell Katherine that you'd gone off to some witching school, could we? She arrived a few days ago and we told her you were spending a few days with a friend."

"So, she thinks I'm attending a muggle school?" I confirmed, climbing into the family car. Dad gave me a confused look, and I forgot they didn't understand our magical lingo.

"Never mind," I said, deciding it didn't matter. The drive home was slow, and I was anxious to get back and see my grandmother and the dog. After 40 minutes of heavy traffic we finally pulled into the driveway, and I bounded out of the car straight into the house.

"Grandmother?" I called, prying the front door open.

"Alyssa," grandmother's voice echoed. She appeared in the hallway and came hobbling over to me. I raced over to wrap my arms around her. She looked up at my parents, who had arrived on the doorstep with my trunk, and added,

"Ariana, I just saved your treacle from the dog."

Mum's face few pale as she raced off to double check for herself. Dad shut the door behind him and made his way over to the living room. I grinned at grandmother.

"How are you, my precious?" grandmother asked.

"I'm good," I replied happily. "I've had an incredible year!"

"Oh, well you'll have to tell me all about it over dinner. Which should be ready any minute, so let's go take a seat," she said, leading the way.

Dinner was a wonderful affair; everyone was laughing and mum grew rather giggly after a few glasses of wine. I think my parents were especially happy to have me back safe and sound. They gave me extra helpings of food and we all pulled crackers together, which I knew dad hated because it set off the dog.

We stayed up around the fire until it was late in the evening and dad had to escort mum to bed. After saying goodnight, it was just grandmother and I in the lounge room. The fire crackled, and the embers slowly fell apart on the burning logs.

Grandmother let out a sigh, and turned her head towards me.

"So, why don't you tell me what you've really been up to?"

I was caught off guard; I'd told grandmother as much truth as I could. I just left out all the magical stuff. Classes were good, I had a lot of new friends...

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to sound like I was confused.

"I know when my daughter is lying, and Paul isn't much better," grandmother explained. "I know you're all hiding something from your old girl. Am I too old to know about what goes on in your life now, Alyssa?"

I felt awful.

"It's not that," I said quickly. "But if I told you... you wouldn't believe me."

She let out a wry laugh. "Try me. I've been through more than you'd think."

I bit my lip. If I said it, and she didn't believe me... well, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like she needed to know.