Chapter One.

“I looked at you like the stars that shined in the sky, the pretty lights. And our daddies used to joke about the two of us growing up and falling in love and our mamas smiled and rolled their eyes and said ‘oh my, my, my’.”

“Mary Summers you are forever banned from this pack for defying the orders of your future alpha and physically assaulting him.”

I looked up at the current alpha with burning hatred shining through my big blue eyes as Kent watched me with distaste, the rest of the pack watching me with sad eyes.

I looked over to my parents who were holding each other with warm, salty tears dripping down their faces; my heavily pregnant mother was muffling her sobs with one hand and cradling her swollen belly with the other. My dad cradling her and providing comfort like only a mate can do. I felt terrible that I was the cause of their sadness but they had always taught me to stand up for myself and I did; too bad it got me exiled.

“You will be gone in the next five minutes or I will personally hunt you down and make your death slow and painful.” Kent said smirking as a few members of the pack barely concealed their growls.

I walked towards my parents and engulfed them in a hug. “I will see you again, I love you, tell wombat how great their older sister is.” I whispered to my mum, breathing in her peaches and cream scent; though I knew I could very well die once I got outside the territory line; rouges had been coming closer to the pack borders and Ian would be after me.

“I will May.” She said tearfully. “I love you so much, please be safe my daughter.”

I nodded and turned to Ian, the alpha’s son who tried his moves on me and ended up with a broken nose and a black eye, though afterwards they’d beaten me pretty badly in ‘revenge’; cracked ribs, two black eyes, a split lip and a concussion. I flipped him the bird and laughed as he and his father growled. “I’m just glad I don’t have to be in the pack that you’ll run into the ground someday.”

He growled and started walking towards me, pure hate in his hazel eyes. “You have three minutes.” Kent snarled, barely holding himself back from attacking me.

Kent had only stayed alpha this long because he had bought a group of rouges with him when he took over and gave them houses and made one his beta. They beat anyone who opposed him; they beat me when I punched him, it just goes to show that people will do anything for a big enough reward. 

I ran into the forest and towards the territory line, cursing Ian and his father. My legs burnt and chest screamed in protest as I ran through the forest, growls and snarls coming from behind me. This wasn’t fair; they could shift and I couldn’t yet they were going to catch up and maul me, most probably kill me. Not to mention the fact that I was already injured.

I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of seeing my panic so I pushed myself harder than I ever have and crossed the territory line, they wouldn’t be able to follow me without breaking the pack law.

I slowed down slightly and turned around to see that they had all stopped a metre before they hit the territory line, yet Ian was pacing, growling and snarling in a rage.

He looked up to see me and without hesitation came at me. I ducked as his dirty brown wolf flew over me and looked around; I couldn’t outrun him but I could out climb him. I ran to the tallest tree and began scampering up the branches. I didn’t stop until I got the top, clinging to the thin branches and praying that they wouldn’t snap. I was covered in scratches and sweat, with twigs and leaves in my short black hair, my box fringe matted to the side of my face; but I was alive.