Chapter Eight

I cringed at the bright day. I had woke up just minutes ago with the biggest headache. I didn't want to remember waking up beside Daniel. I'm pretty sure we didn't hook up, because we were still both fully clothed, but it was all just a weird setting. Daniel was kind of like a brother to me, but with the things he told me last night, it's hard to say that with a straight face.

Vanessa's family dinner was tomorrow.

I almost forgot about that.

Before I could go to a family get together with her family and the step dad she cared about so much, I wanted answers. I couldn't sit across from her, and have this awkward unsettling linger between us. I mean we were supposed to be friends right?

I tapped my knuckles repeatedly on the white door of her house, hoping for someone to open it in the next minute. There was no vehicle out front, and I had hoped that she didn't go to the bank with her mom or something, because then I'm standing here knocking on an empty house, looking like a total moron. As I begin to walk away the door flings open, revealing the face of a cheery, miss martha stewart.

"Mrs Harlock." I greeted.

She smiled at me.

"Jamie."

I walked back toward her to the door.

"It's nice to see you again."

"Yeah, same, do you know where Vanessa is?" I asked her without hesitation.

As she began to answer I could footsteps from up the stairs of the entry.

"Mom who's at the ... Door." Vanessa asked her mom, and froze to the sight of me.

"Can we talk?" I asked her.

Vanessa looked back and forth between her mom and me, and finally after what seemed like forever, her eyes stalled on her mom, and she nodded. Ella stepped out of the way, welcoming me inside. I stepped inside the small entry way, and slid my converse off by the door.

Vanessa nodded down the stairs toward her room. I gave her a small smile before I made my way to the basement. Vanessa followed me into her room and shut the door behind us. I sat on her bed in silence at first. She raised her eyebrows at me in question.

"Did I say something wrong?" I asked her.

She frowned.

"I mean, it's like you've been avoiding me, and you havent been at school." I shook my head.

As she went to speak I interupted her a bit unintentionally.

"You havent spoke to me since the day we went shopping and I dropped you off."

"It's like, I scared you. You didn't even wanna talk to me at the party."

"You smiled." I shrugged.

You we're right about Daniel too." I shook my head.

"He drank. He kissed me, and he told me that he had this bizzare crush on me that I hadn't known about for years, and I had to give him a bullshit excuse as to why I couldn't give him a chance because I don't want to be with him."

"I don't want to be with him because I like you!"

"I do, Vanesssa, I like you, and it's very upsetting to my nerves because I want you, and you havent been giving me the slightest clue about whether you like me too, and it's been driving me nuts thinking about you Vanessa because.. I really want you, to want me." I took a deep breathe after ranting so much.

I swallowed hard as Vanessa stared at me. She seemed like she was trying so hard to keep it cold, like she still didn't want to open up to me. Then maybe I spoke to soon. The red head looked at me, and took a deep breath. She exhaled through her nose into a sigh, not taking her gaze off me. Before I could think of anything else to say, she walked swiftly toward me, grabbing my cheek in her right hand, and crashing her lips onto mine.