Chapter One - Messenger

Start from the beginning

What's for breakfast, human? Cora asked mockingly.

 I told you, Cora! Blackjack neighed, call him boss, not human.

Hmm, she said, I'll call him by his name when he deserves it, and I'll call him "boss" never.

"Hey guys, stop arguing," Percy ordered, "Blackjack, no one has to call me boss, in fact, I'd prefer it if you didn't."

Blackjack flared his wings, sure thing, boss, he replied, anything for you.

Cora snorted in amusement. "And Cora, try to be a little friendlier, okay," Percy added.

Cora stared at him for a moment. All right, Percy, she said, swishing her tail. Percy stared at her in surprise. As long as you bring me my food real quick. Chuckling to himself, Percy went off to find the horse feed.

...

The chariots were all lined up on the starting line, ready to run.

Percy and Annabeth's chariot was a gleaming blue-green-gray, with white and celestial bronze trimming in the shape of cresting waves. The front was a regal trident whose tines protruded up above the front panel, with the embellishment of a wooden carved barn owl directly in front.

Leo and Calypso also had one, Calypso looking determined and ready at the reins, and Leo looking rather devilish at the back. Percy shuddered to think what traps he had dreamed up. Their chariot was a shimmering bronze with gold and pure white accents. It looked sleek and powerful, an intimidating opponent. Percy could see seams and ridges all along the sides that undoubtedly hid secret hatches filled with nasty surprises. Percy was thrilled to see Leo again, and see Calypso happy with him, that little brat, letting everyone think he was dead, but seriously, it had been nice having no competition at these races. (At least in Percy's view.)

Will and Nico had a chariot to themselves as well, hardly surprising, as Nico had seemed glued to Will's side as of late. Percy still didn't understand how he "wasn't Nico's type." Annabeth kept telling him to get over it, but he just couldn't see how anyone could say he wasn't their type. The Hades/Apollo combo chariot was pretty sweet. It was an elegant black with gold tracing, designs, and a subtle underlay. It was apparent that Leo had been recruited in the handy work. When the sun hit the black metal from different angles, unique patterns shimmered into existence. One was a bow and arrow, one a healing herb, a skull and crossbones, one was even a fairly accurate representation of Will doing his sonic whistle. Despite the definite cool factor, Percy couldn't help feeling as though Nico was underrepresented, and it was Will who took the spotlight. Maybe that was the way Nico liked it, but Percy still felt a twinge of worry for the kid. He still felt some responsibility for Nico, since he was the first demigod to find them. Then again, Nico was definitely up there with Leo on the NEGLECTING TO TELL HIM IMPORTANT INFORMATION list. Seriously, pretending he had no idea who Percy was when he showed up at Camp Jupiter? Not cool. Maybe Percy wouldn't feel too bad about beating him in the chariot race.

Oh well, of course, no chariot race would be complete without the ever so lovely Clarisse La Rue. She and one of her siblings were mounted on a grisly red chariot with a ridge of spikes. Their chariot was pulled by two fearsome skeleton horses, this time looking right at home next to the Hades/Apollo's spectral stallions. Hmm, maybe Nico wasn't so underrepresented after all.

Percy and Annabeth's own stallions were a dark dappled gray, their coloring as though they had just appeared from the surf. (They were using these due to Cora's absolute refusal to be hitched to any sort of cart/chariot/carriage.) Leo and Calypso were using powerful bronze automatons, snorting and stamping in impatience. Something they had in common with Leo.